airflow over the down pipe idea.

This is a discussion on airflow over the down pipe idea. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; actually, not my idea. that said, i was changing oil on a 08 mercury milan 4cylinder and noticed a out ...

airflow over the down pipe idea.

actually, not my idea. that said, i was changing oil on a 08 mercury milan 4cylinder and noticed a out of place plactic tube runnning from the top of the cooling fan to the back of the motor. well, where do you go? right over the heat shield for the top most cat. takes air from the electric fan and pumps it right down the downpipe.

i can think of doing this two ways. mod a existing piece(probably from the same vehicle...ive never seen another that i can remember pre wrx anyway) or install a small 12v fan in the space between timc and right strut tower. i have a bit of room running factory turbo/timc. around town i can see that helping push under hood temps down, but the hot side of the turbo needs to stay hot right? like blanket and shield hot? so the forced air would have to be routed past the turbo and pointed down the back side of the downpipe.

course, this could be solved with a ceramic coated and wrapped grimmspeed downpipe, which is on the list of course. just chewing on ideas whilst working away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There were both commercial and DIY turbo chimneys for that area intended to funnel heat up and away. I've not seen one in years. Fans had been tried by a couple posters way back, but the effects are apparently not noteworthy enough to remember. Sounds interesting though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Would be better off just putting 2 or 3 fans directly onto the tmic itself.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think so. Fans haven't proven as effective as simply tilting the IC, for example.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Aah...the blarg mod. Done lol. One of my first mods actually. I was thinking the fan thing since I have a 8" 500cfm left over from a atomic cooler used to cool the gas line on my old camaro. Kept the corn gas from boiling and causing my carb to choke. I think the hole unit is too big for a oil cooler but the fan is removable. All I would need is to fan mount and a airflow splitter. That way I get hot out behind and down the exhaust and could push some sideways under the timic and out.

Or...I could get some sleep. Lol *yawn*

I Support ClubWRX
    I did some rough math and if I'm not wrong 500 cfm is the equivalent of low speed motion in a parking lot or stop and go traffic. If there is a routine speed above which that airflow is exceeded then the fan will be at most ineffective, at worst an obstacle.

What I did was assume the frontal area is one ft wide by one ft high, then converted 500 linear ft per minute to kph of vehicle speed.

I think the car quickly exceeds the speed at which a fan is useful. I could be wrong though.

A fan placed over the intercooler would effectively block the intercooler more than it helps...same as when people put chicken wire screens or Grillecraft screens in their scoops thinking it will help.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Exactly what are you attempting to accomplish here? Heat retained in the Turbo and Downpipe region is GOOD for flow! You do not want to cool the exhaust gas as the gas will become less energetic and the velocity will decrease.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I did some rough math and if I'm not wrong 500 cfm is the equivalent of low speed motion in a parking lot or stop and go traffic.
    I had a similar issue a few years ago: my Bike (air Cooled Harley Evolution motor) would get too hot in stop-and-go traffic during hot days (30+ degrees C) causing detonation. Buell uses a fan to force-cool the motor as well as piston oil squirters and an oil cooler. In an effort to reduce heat in traffic conditions, I was working on a fan rig that would draw air through the oil cooler even when the bike was stationary. However, even the most efficient fans (read: expensive) would only draw air at a rate that was equivalent to the bike moving at 15mph. Furthermore, this obstruction would cause a 15% drop in flow efficiency at 60mph per my calculation, so I ultimately scratched the project.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    OP, if you get under your car and look up, you will see the bottom of the IC and the down pipe. As far of aero goes, there are a couple things in play. Air flows into the scoop, through the splitter and blows onto the DP and through the IC. Also as the car moves, a low pressure area is created underneith the car, causing a vacuum that draws air out of the engine compartment, along the bottom of the floor, and out the back of the car.

This is why all manner of fans and things have been a rather mute point.

Now the "Turbo chimney mod" was actually meant to do two things:

1. Act as an additional heat shield to save the IC from being heat soaked on that one side.
    2. Create a "nozzle effect" and focus higher pressure air over the down pipe to improve the natural savaging effect.

Problem with the turbo chimney is that if the ambient is below the 90's, or the car is moving above 20MPH, it doesn't really do anything.

The "IC halos" which spray CO2 over the IC's are nice, except that the IAT sensor on the stock WRX is not between the IC and TB causing erroneous readings and potential errors.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

from a forester forum
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL

cflip2x 2012 WRB WRX