EJ20 rebuild time! Btw, I'm a noob.

This is a discussion on EJ20 rebuild time! Btw, I'm a noob. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2002 Subaru WRX Okay so I got a thrown rod about a little over a month ago. I was saving ...

EJ20 rebuild time! Btw, I'm a noob.

2002 Subaru WRX

Okay so I got a thrown rod about a little over a month ago. I was saving for a ej25 and more parts for an sti conversion but realistically speaking it would take me a while to save up that much. Yes, I understand rebuilding isn't cheap but that's fine. I minus well do something with the engine.

What my questions for y'all are:
    is there like a kit I can buy complete with ej20 parts or do I have to buy them separately?
    Also should I buy oem parts or go aftermarket?
    When I do finally rebuild the engine is there anything else I should upgrade?
    And lastly without taking my engine out is there any way to really tell what size the rod bearing are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Are you machining the shortblock or starting with a new/used one?
    what are your power plans for this rebuilt motor?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2.1L stroker.

EJ205 block bored to 50 thou over
    Forged pistons
    Forged connecting rods/STi Rods
    Nitrided STi crankshaft
    ARP Head studs
    GSC Stage 1 cams

This motor is an ideal street motor. Plenty of torque and power in the mid range, but still packs a wallop at higher RPMs. Good for about 450whp.

I was saving for a ej25 and more parts for an sti conversion but realistically speaking it would take me a while to save up that much.
    STi conversion? On the motor? That's inane. The EJ257 is arguably just as worthless as the EJ205 and EJ255. The drivetrain is clearly superior, but an STi motor swap wouldn't be an improvement.

EDIT: unless the EJ257 was built. But then I'd argue that a ported EJ205/257 hybrid with +1mm valves and aggressive cams would be a much better solution.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Zax gets a raging boner anytime he thinks aboot the 2.1 Stroker.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Zax gets a raging boner anytime he thinks
    He sure does.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Are you machining the shortblock or starting with a new/used one?
    what are your power plans for this rebuilt motor?
    Machining the shortblock. I'm not too sure yet, I know I want to get more power out of it but I'm not sure what the hp and torque limits are for a EJ20. It's not going to be a track car or anything so the highest it'll go is stage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    2.1L stroker.

EJ205 block bored to 50 thou over
    Forged pistons
    Forged connecting rods/STi Rods
    Nitrided STi crankshaft
    ARP Head studs
    GSC Stage 1 cams

This motor is an ideal street motor. Plenty of torque and power in the mid range, but still packs a wallop at higher RPMs. Good for about 450whp.

STi conversion? On the motor? That's inane. The EJ257 is arguably just as worthless as the EJ205 and EJ255. The drivetrain is clearly superior, but an STi motor swap wouldn't be an improvement.

EDIT: unless the EJ257 was built. But then I'd argue that a ported EJ205/257 hybrid with +1mm valves and aggressive cams would be a much better solution.
    Well if the 2.1L stroker is an ideal street motor there's no need for me to get another shortblock to do an STi conversion. I'll look into the parts you listed now. Thank you!

Edit: Do you have a suggestion as far as brands go for the forged pistons? And the only way to figure out what size I need is to actually split the block first right?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by veg4 View Post
    Edit: Do you have a suggestion as far as brands go for the forged pistons? And the only way to figure out what size I need is to actually split the block first right?
    There are a number of vendors on this forum that will point you in the right direction. As for size... you have an EJ205. i.e. your bore is 92mm... pretty straight forward!

I don't think I understand what you mean when you say "STi conversion." Precisely WHAT are you converting? Using a 2.5L shortblock with EJ205 heads is called a "Hybrid" build within the community.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

From what I have seen most will be fine, especially for your power level. CP, JE, Weisco, Arias, etc. What you will want to do is get the pistons slightly over size.. stock is 92.5mm, so depending on what condition your case halves are in, get like 92.54mm pistons, then have the cylinders custom bored to match each piston.

edit: I guess you need to figure out A or B case haves first.. I aways forget they did 92mm and 92.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    There are a number of vendors on this forum that will point you in the right direction. As for size... you have an EJ205. i.e. your bore is 92mm... pretty straight forward!

I don't think I understand what you mean when you say "STi conversion." Precisely WHAT are you converting? Using a 2.5L shortblock with EJ205 heads is called a "Hybrid" build within the community.
    I was told if I got a 2.5 with ej257 heads I'd have to swap out everything else making it a "sti conversion"

I was told if I got a 2.5 with ej257 heads I'd have to swap out everything else making it a "sti conversion"

Not exactly "everything".. but you don't want the ej257 heads regardless.

Here's a ton of info to get you started:

"Built Motor Discussion"
    "Built Motor Discussion" Links to Great Threads - NASIOC
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

You'd be getting into swapping ECUs and Wiring harnesses at that point..much more $$$$$$ and time added (and a pain in the arse) when compared to using your 2.0L heads and having them machined to match the 2.5L block.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I think the OP has already had this hybrid v. stock rebuild v. stroker v. full sti longblock swap discussion in another thread. Veg, Do you drive the car daily? what are your goals? and what exactly is your budget?

If you drive it daily and will be using it as a commuter for the foreseeable future, are on a "lower" budget, and don't expect to go past stage 2...then just rebuild the stock motor with stock parts. You can still net some pretty good gains down the road with a turbo swap, supporting mods, and a good tune. Although, forged internals wouldn't be a bad idea at all if you can swing it.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 07-23-2013 at 11:39 AM.

I see this is an old post, however a website to recommend I believe is 6starspeed.com. that is where I got my entire rebuild kit that came with crank, bearings, rods, pistons, rings, wristpins,12mm oil pump, gates timing belt kit(includes belt, waterpump, and pulleys.), and a full oem reseal kit. all for around 2 grand. VERY cheap!

^That's a good deal. I think he bought a Type-S RSX though.