California Smog and Performance Upgrades

This is a discussion on California Smog and Performance Upgrades within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi All, I've mostly just lurked on here since i picked up my 2012 WRX sedan in June of last ...

California Smog and Performance Upgrades

Hi All,

I've mostly just lurked on here since i picked up my 2012 WRX sedan in June of last year. Now with less than 12 more months until the warranty expires and my upgrade/mods savings getting larger i am venturing to the world of stage 2 (probably not until the warranty actually expires because i'm a superstitious baby).

Anyways i have some questions for anyone who has been doing some similar modifications and dealt with California smog test. Have you experienced problems getting smogged from your garden variety smog check? Do you have to go to a specific shop that you have hook ups at? I just want to know if i am investing cash into upgrades that i may have to remove every two years to get the car smogged.

I am planning on some basic improvements to get me to where i think i will be happy.

Planned:
    Cold Air intake
    Hi-Flow catted DP
    Invidia Q300 quad tip
    ProTune

Possible (or atleast in distant future):
    TMIC Upgrade
    Up-Pipe upgrade
    Fuel Pump
    Injector upgrade

Any CA modders on here that can give me some advice or fair warning?

Much appreciated.

DG

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Re-read the smog laws in your county. I don't think the check interval is correct.

You should have problems with every item you've listed except the pump, tune, and injectors; however, whether you will or not depends on how awake the person is checking the car. In any case, check what the interval is in your county because this may all be a moot point except if you are planning to sell the car to a person not a first degree relative, in which case you'd need to smog it before selling.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Here in Santa Cruz its every other year. ie: once every 2 years.

What is the interval where you hail?

Edit: Ah, i just read about the smog abatement fee. I am assuming this is what you are referring to? i don't have to smog until car is over 6 years old! awesome. Thanks SD_GR!

I still would like to hear if anyone can pass smog with these mods.

Thanks,

Edit for clarity and my stupidity.
    Last edited by BBDGriptonia; 07-19-2013 at 03:57 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDGriptonia View Post

Edit: Ah, i just read about the smog abatement fee. I am assuming this is what you are referring to? i don't have to smog until car is over 6 years old! awesome. Thanks SD_GR!

Thanks,

OK so unless you sell to a non-parent, non-spouse, you don't need smog until later this decade. Good.

I'd have to be visually impared, drunk and high to pass a car as described but I don't smog inspect cars. In any case, a CEL will fail you, so the tune will have to account for that. The intake will need a CARB sticker; the down pipe will need someone too lazy to check. It's feasible to pass. Nobody can say how probable it is to pass.

I'd keep all my authentic parts on hand.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDGriptonia View Post

Thanks,

OK so unless you sell to a non-parent, non-spouse, you don't need smog until later this decade. Good.

I'd have to be visually impared, drunk and high to pass a car as described but I don't smog inspect cars. In any case, a CEL will fail you, so the tune will have to account for that. The intake will need a CARB sticker; the down pipe will need someone too lazy to check. It's feasible to pass. Nobody can say how probable it is to pass.

I'd keep all my authentic parts on hand.