Difference in exhaust??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Difference in exhaust?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was looking to have my wrx taking to a shop to have stage 2 and tune done. They gave ...

Difference in exhaust??

I was looking to have my wrx taking to a shop to have stage 2 and tune done. They gave me quotes for what they use the most on subarus. What is the difference if any between turboxs and invidia exhaust wise? And is it better to have catted down pipe or non catted? Now with intake which is better aem or cobb? I've seen all these names and prices every where but I don't know what to choose.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What are your emissions laws in PA? (probably wouldn't pass a visual unless you know the shop, if you do go Catless)

Your exhausts all do the same thing...expel gasses. Downpipes all do the same thing. Catted and catless are only a difference of cost, as well as legal or not. Performance won't really be different at all.

Figure out what you want to spend, and go from there. What shop are you looking at?

AEM intake is generally considered a bit better because it's further away from the engine, so less heat intake. But if you have the airbox with the Cobb SF, it's probably alright as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The county I live in has no emissions and plus I have my inspection license so inspections aren't a worry to me. But between turboxs and invidia they are the same basically? The only thing I know matters is intake. It depends on what flow more air correct?

They are both 3in exhausts and will all flow the same. Invidia and TurboXS are both known as good reputable brands...so there is literally no difference other than name and price. Comes down to personal preference on looks, sound, and price at that point.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

you will make more noise and gain no power except for the DP... there you go
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    MOAR NOISE

My only other question is if I choose one brand of cat back do I need to match it to the same brand down pipe?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bhunt41 View Post
    My only other question is if I choose one brand of cat back do I need to match it to the same brand down pipe?
    No.

Any one know of a place with exhaust gaskets? I found an invidia cat back for my wrx but they done have the gaskets that come with it. Any one have an idea on where or what I could do to find some or made something for?

I Support ClubWRX
    Your nearest subaru dealership.

I Support ClubWRX
    Invidia places their cat close to the turbo, while TurboXS places their cat closer to the catback. The closer to the turbo, the more "restrictive" it is, as well as the better at "cleaning" the exhaust gases. Also, if your car has a tendency to boost creep, a cat closer to the turbo is better able to combat that. On a S2 car, there will be pretty negligible differences in terms of spool/response.

Personally, I'd go TurboXS and if an issue arose with boost creep, just go EWG (the proper remedy vs a HFC). Since Invidia uses a divided wastegate design, I'd prefer the bellmouth offering if I went EWG (bellmouth on the Invidia is only offered in their catless version).

If going catless, either one would be a solid choice, and I'd say go with the one that's cheaper.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    In my experience,yes. I had a Cobb DP. Decided to go with an Invidia Catback & they hardly mated. The design was different.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    In my experience,yes. I had a Cobb DP. Decided to go with an Invidia Catback & they hardly mated. The design was different.
    Different flanges, so somewhat of an apples/oranges comparison. Having quality components at both ends, if the flange matches, you shouldn't have an issue...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Any one know of a place with exhaust gaskets? I found an invidia cat back for my wrx but they done have the gaskets that come with it. Any one have an idea on where or what I could do to find some or made something for?
    My local NAPA shop had a full set of gaskets from engine to axleback. The dealer will have them too.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Different flanges, so somewhat of an apples/oranges comparison. Having quality components at both ends, if the flange matches, you shouldn't have an issue...

For me the cat on the Q300 midpipe was hitting the chassis. & I Couldn't get the flanges to line up properly without a gap & there was a leak. I had no issues with the GReddy though. The cat was a lot smaller & it lined up perfectly.

I would think this would be more of an issue with hatchbacks than sedans since different manufacturers use vastly different designs for the midpipe.

BTW the Invidia catback only uses flat gaskets. Should be available at any local auto store.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast