Stage 1 questions???

This is a discussion on Stage 1 questions??? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got my cobb ap and was going to flash to stage 1. Just had a few questions on the ...

Stage 1 questions???

Just got my cobb ap and was going to flash to stage 1. Just had a few questions on the process, when you flash is it a good idea to not beat on the car until you've done a few logs or do you just have at it. Also with the logs I have no idea what I will be looking at as far as whats good or bad??? and last question being I was going to get a cobb intake as well, does the intake make any difference in hp/tq gains when flashed with cobbs off the shelf map for stage 1 with an intake as opposed to stage 1 without and intake? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you should be fine just getting on it from the get go after you flash. The OTS stage 1 map is still better than the stock tune. As far as logs, you should do some reading on all the areas you can log so eventually you can understand what you're looking at. Until then though you can just post them up here on the forum, there are plenty of ppl to help you make sense of the logs.

Unfortunately I don't have any input for the intake as I don't have one, I know a lot of people say there is some HP/TQ to be gain on these newer wrx's with an intake.

Quote Originally Posted by speedtown View Post
    you should be fine just getting on it from the get go after you flash. The OTS stage 1 map is still better than the stock tune. As far as logs, you should do some reading on all the areas you can log so eventually you can understand what you're looking at. Until then though you can just post them up here on the forum, there are plenty of ppl to help you make sense of the logs.

Unfortunately I don't have any input for the intake as I don't have one, I know a lot of people say there is some HP/TQ to be gain on these newer wrx's with an intake.
    >
    gotcha one more quick question I forgot to ask when starting with a cobb off the shelf map do you start with the normal wastegate map until you do some logging I take it?

I've been asking a lot of the same questions lately, because I plan on doing the exact same thing, and I'm relatively unfamiliar with these cars. After collecting about 100 different opinions, here's what I've gathered so far:

The cobb map is a step above your factory tune, but a step below and e-tune, and two steps below a dyno tune. You should be safe to drive your car however you want, but give your car a couple of drives to adjust to the new settings. You might notice some hesitation or quirks at first, but within a day or so, everything should really smooth out.

The cobb intake is tricky. It will give you slight, but mostly unnoticeable gains, until you get a dyno tune. However, most people who get it do so because of the sound it makes. As superficial as it is, it's kind of a let down to own a turbo charged car, without hearing your turbocharger. The cobb intake will make your stock turbo spool and bypass sounds very audible.

To tune the intake, your most safe bet is to use Cobb's map. They have apparently done a decent job of scaling the mass air flow sensor for the additional air flow. Some people are still skeptical of this, but I've talked to some reputable people around the forums who seem to think this will be just fine, in lieu or a specific tune to your car. To have someone properly e-tune the car, you're going to need a wide band o2 sensor, so someone can monitor the air fuel ratio. To me, this sounds like a pain in the ass, so I'm personally just going to stick with Cobb's map, until I get more upgrades later on. When I'm ready to go stage 2, I'll get a pro tune, and not have to worry about a wideband.

Cliffs: use cobb's maps for the stage 1 and intake, and you should be able to drive the car how you want. When you're ready for a more efficient tune or more mods later on, get a wideband 02 sensor for an e-tune, or get a pro-tune.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would just drive the car normal (no WOT) for 50 or more miles before doing a log. Then once you get a few logs done and everything checks out then you can beat on it if you want.

I would either start out with the normal wgdc map, or low wgdc map and adjust from there.

I would get the aem over cobb intake. My cobb intake would average about 30 degrees hotter and some times even higher than the aem I replaced it with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2