wrx engine options

This is a discussion on wrx engine options within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Newbie here so please move this thread if it is in the wrong place. I am looking to go into ...

wrx engine options

Newbie here so please move this thread if it is in the wrong place. I am looking to go into the subie scene ever since my friend got a bugeye. I had a blast in it and my cherokee just doesnt do it for me. Anyway I have good mechanical skills with the garage and tools to work in/with. I fould a 02 bugeye on craigslist with a blown head gasket and......200k miles for $2,700 but I could probably get that number down. The body seems to be in good shape. It had a new timing belt and water pump. So my question is first do you think its worth it. And second if I do get it what would you reccomend doing with the engine situation, replace head gasket, drop in newer lower mileage engine, hybrid build, also open to other ideas. Im looking for the most cost effective way but reliable as well.
    Thank you in advance,
    Steven

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Usually a blown headgasket means overheating, which means the heads and/or block are likely warped. You can have the entire engine rebuild, or replace it. Replacing will probably be cheaper, but you never know if the replacement engine is going to be any good either. Either option is still costly.

Could I get the heads machined to be flat again? Also do you think $2, 700 is a good price

Yea, you can have the heads and block decked and it should be okay. .but the machine work will likely cost more than a used replacement engine (if you can find one) .

If everything else on the car is in good shape then $2700 doesn't sound too bad. You could likely part the whole thing out for that.. then again, 200k is a lot of miles. Tough call.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's 2700... I'd buy it and build it to be a RAC3CAR But seriously. That's what I'd do in my position. 200,000mi car has seen better days, and is going to be in need of major TLC. Put 10-15k into it, and you'll have a very formidable built race car for very cheap.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Would you be worried about the engine/head internals at that mileage, If so what?

I Support ClubWRX
    I would be. A blown headgasket doesn't cost 8k to fix. They could easily get someone to replace the headgasket, and turn around and sell the vehicle for 10k+. I think there is more that they're not disclosing. So if it were me, I'd be building something pretty sweet out of the deal.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

That's pretty much how I feel about it. . You're going to want to put a lot of money and parts into it at this point, it would be a good start for a weekend warrior project.

Ok thanks im gonna go look at it when I get back from vacation and let you know how it goes