Oh no, not again...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oh no, not again... within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Typed a lengthy story and computer ends up dying and I lose it all.... long story short, Left buddies house ...

Oh no, not again...

Typed a lengthy story and computer ends up dying and I lose it all.... long story short, Left buddies house Thurs night in the early morning, noticed STRONG burning smell and smoke in headlights while reversing. Start it Friday morning and almost set smoke detector off in my garage with all the whitish blue smoke coming out of exhausts. Ended up posting in a local Subi forum, was told to let vehicle idle with oil filler cap off, if smoke came out of oil filler neck the rings are toast, sure enough, blueish white smoke coming out of oil filler neck. Seems motor is shot....again. Car's either going to sit in garage for about 2 months until I can save up the money to afford upgraded components, or I will try and file warrantee claim. I believe my warrantee ends at 36k miles but my pops said he thinks drivetrain goes to 100k so I will check. But even if so I don't want a stock replacement because it's going to go again. I seriously don't believe I drive this car hard anymore. If the way I still drive is considered 'hard' on this car then I have no choice to upgrade the components.

Please no bashing, I didn't come here for that, I'm really distraught right now as you can all imagine. Suggestions or opinions on a good way to go about this would be great. Thanks guys, by the way hope you all had a good 4th, I know I enjoyed same great Filet Mignon off the BBQ and enjoyed some time with my family.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what mods and who tuned it?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Jeez ****!

Edit: WTF? M1ke is in the swear filters? Haha
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do you beat on your car?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Damn that sucks man too soon for ringland memes?
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru power train is 5year/60k

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

AHH, so powertrain IS covered?? now the question is do I replace mods back to stock to TRY to file a warrantee claim. AND if that's claim goes through I will end up with another stock motor that will (evidently) be toast again in 20k miles.... damn decisions in life!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ****193 View Post
    AHH, so powertrain IS covered?? now the question is do I replace mods back to stock to TRY to file a warrantee claim. AND if that's claim goes through I will end up with another stock motor that will (evidently) be toast again in 20k miles.... damn decisions in life!
    Stock motors don't blow up every 20k miles, otherwise Subaru would be out of business. Subarus are one of the more reliable vehicles out there, but you chose to modify it. Decreased reliability comes with modding a vehicle. Maybe you should reassess what you want out of the car. An intake and tune probably didn't blow up the car. I'm going to lay the blame on either a mechanical failure (less likely) or owner/operator error (more likely).

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    What mods/tune are you running

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    What mods/tune are you running
    In chat he said an intake and Cobb OTS.

The technician I work with is Bert Gaertner. Very well known in the Supra world. Actually built (I believe the first) a 9 second Supra. He used to race with Ali Afshar and was actually called by him about a month ago asked to fly out to California and build a 6 second Subaru.

He told me to take off the turbo tonight and bring it in to work tomorrow and he'd let me know if the turbo is okay or bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles do you have on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Stock motors don't blow up every 20k miles, otherwise Subaru would be out of business. Subarus are one of the more reliable vehicles out there, but you chose to modify it. Decreased reliability comes with modding a vehicle. Maybe you should reassess what you want out of the car. An intake and tune probably didn't blow up the car. I'm going to lay the blame on either a mechanical failure (less likely) or owner/operator error (more likely).
    Yeah they do..... And a bad tune can defiently blow your motor. Don't be so quick to defend Subaru as there is plenty of evidence of ringland failures, besides the owner bought a sports car. Unless he mis shifted into an rpm that was past the red line then the car should he able to take some abuse from time to time.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx frog View Post
    Yeah they do..... And a bad tune can defiently blow your motor. Don't be so quick to defend Subaru as there is plenty of evidence of ringland failures, besides the owner bought a sports car. Unless he mis shifted into an rpm that was past the red line then the car should he able to take some abuse from time to time.

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk 2
    Lulz. Jimmy has far more experience with Subaru engines than you do. While ringland failures were reported in the 2009 to 2010 cars, the issue was believed to be largely resolved in later model years. While failures can happen, the design/quality issue that caused the more common failures was believed to be fixed before the OP's 2011 car.

Since this engine was already replaced, I would guess some pre-existing issue with the rebuilt engine, which was brought to light with the added stress of the modifications. Driving style is another possibility, but nobody will know until the car goes in for inspection.

Any way you cut it, it's a bummer for the OP.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast