sedan stock catback at stage 2? Anybody have experience with.this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on sedan stock catback at stage 2? Anybody have experience with.this within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, i promise this isnt a stage 2 thread that has been covered many times. I have searched for days ...

sedan stock catback at stage 2? Anybody have experience with.this

Hi, i promise this isnt a stage 2 thread that has been covered many times. I have searched for days trying to find this answer with no luck, so hopefully a member here has, or knows somebody who has experience with this.

I will be buying a cobb dp to mate with the stock cbe ( sedan). Cobb forums state that the sedan CBE is restrictive and they were not able to get any real gains with stage 2 over stage 1 because of it ( they dont give very much more detail). This concerned me so i have been googling the subject dry and cannot find anybody stating/complaining they have no gain or issue with restriction in the stock cbe. Travis w/ cobb went on to say that they used the spt cbe and found the stage 2 gains that they typically see w/ stage 2 on the hatches.

I emailed eric @ torqued performance, and he stated hes noticed the sedan cbe to be more restrictive than the hatch however it wll still see gains.

Does anybody have any experience with their stock sedan cbe at stage 2 levels? Is cobb incorrect? I figure i would have found gobs of complaints in forums if folks hooked up a dp and stage 2 tune with no gains.

As always, the community feedback is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by fickel8; 06-30-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Sent from phone errors
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Torqued performance stage 1 (using tactrix)
    -Continental DSW tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

not to be a douche but.... found these, and there are more

here:
    Stage 2 with stock catback opinions

and here:

Downpipe + stock catback= stage 2? - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

and then there's this:

2011 Subaru WRX - 460 WHP - Stock Exhaust | Video

460WHP w/ stock catback (xluben, great build and videos to check out)

Hi Wrexxy,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have already read all three of these prior to posting this. I don't want to be rude at all (I appreciate the feedback), but I don't think you read my post fully. I know you probably saw exhaust and stage 2 and assumed I hadn't researched anything, but I promise I have turned over almost every forum trying to learn more about the sedan stock exhaust on the 2011+.

1st link - This guy has a hatch, not a sedan.

2nd link- This is an '02 wrx asking. The replies were being made before the 2011 was made. (The issue is with the 2011+ sedan)

3rd link - I have followed xlubens stuff since before he went stage 2. Xluben has a hatch and xluben also has a spt exhaust. I am asking about the stock cbe, not the spt.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

So other people have read, or heard the same stuff from cobb.

Sedan exhaust?

My bad, cruising the forums, thought it was an easier answer. But there is a video of xluben with the actual stock (he went through like 20 exhausts) and still made 460whp. the spt tips are distinct, but anyway.

I've read in multiple posts (can't find them now because i can't remember the subjects of them), but that until you start getting into the ~300 whp/wtq+ range the stock CBE will cause marginal restrictions. Won't be felt on the butt dyno (dyno numbers would represent a difference ~10-15 hp/tq MAX).

As for the sedan vs hatch the only real difference is that the hatch has one muffler and the sedan splits at the rear axle into the two mufflers (both 2.5 inch as i'm sure you know). as with the marginal power increase with an aftermarket CBE, if there is a difference between the hatch and the sedan it is more or less negligible (~5whp?) if you look at all the stock dyno numbers for 11+ wrx's the average for sedans and hatches would probably be right around the same.

with all of that said, I'd take a fat meaty portion under the curve over peak numbers anyday

you think i would have reread what you posted... BUT I didn't haha

the cobb DP tapers down to 2.5" on the CBE end. other manufacturer's (such as invidia) make full 3" DP's. (invidia offer's one with 2 O2 sensor bungs for a wideband gauge) it's also cheaper than Cobb.

2011 WRX, I went stage 2 and protuned for $675 ..dyno results inside

also, you'd get a bigger gain from getting protuned. ^^that guy has a DP and an AEM air filter (again pretty useless since the stock is good until u get above 300's to the wheels) you could probably be sitting at ~270whp w/ a conservative tune. to reference xluben again http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2105797 he was protuned stage 2 with DP (catted ftw) and SPT exhaust and was hitting 298 whp and 342wtq on 93 octane

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock catback will limit you a bit in both power and response. Whether it's worth it for you to spend $600+ for the slight gains is up to you.

Are you considering keep the stock exhaust for price or sound concerns?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The stock catback will limit you a bit in both power and response. Whether it's worth it for you to spend $600+ for the slight gains is up to you.

Sorry Matthew but the 11+ is considerably different here. The exhaust IS a big issue and people just tossing on nameless axel backs aren't getting anything but noise, issue is in the Y piece of the exhaust and it bottles down to a very tiny pipe after the Y.

OP to get decent power from the stage 2 set up you will absolutely need a cat back exhaust setup. You will see some gains over stage 1 with stage 2, but not as much as you'd see with a cat back or an exhaust cut out.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Thanks for chiming in EJ! I figured you would extend your expertise.

Sound level as low as possible is the # 1 goal. Price isn't the issue, as long as it is quiet ish and of high quality.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Sorry Matthew but the 11+ is considerably different here. The exhaust IS a big issue and people just tossing on nameless axel backs aren't getting anything but noise, issue is in the Y piece of the exhaust and it bottles down to a very tiny pipe after the Y.

OP to get decent power from the stage 2 set up you will absolutely need a cat back exhaust setup. You will see some gains over stage 1 with stage 2, but not as much as you'd see with a cat back or an exhaust cut out.
    I was hoping you would chime in as well. Thank you for clarifying that! Looks like the nameless 3" dp with the quietest 3" catback would be the best choice.

I looked at the y-pipe the other day and it really pinches down.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

I Support ClubWRX
    I ran invidia v3 to invidia q300 not loud, sounds good, throaty.

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    2011 WRX, I went stage 2 and protuned for $675 ..dyno results inside

also, you'd get a bigger gain from getting protuned. ^^that guy has a DP and an AEM air filter (again pretty useless since the stock is good until u get above 300's to the wheels) you could probably be sitting at ~270whp w/ a conservative tune. to reference xluben again 2011 WRX Stock vs. Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 - NASIOC he was protuned stage 2 with DP (catted ftw) and SPT exhaust and was hitting 298 whp and 342wtq on 93 octane
    Good find on the first link! I actually hadn't found that yet so I appreciate the find. I am very uneasy about his Dyno graph as I don't trust dyno numbers as much as looking at the torque curve. His torque curve is horrendous, but it looks like some gains MAY have been had on his stock sedan cbe ( we will never know for sure since there was no baseline). Also, remember xluben is a hatchback, not a sedan. The issue here is with the sedan catbacks, the hatches are already known to flow just fine at this power level.
    Last edited by fickel8; 06-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

I ran invidia v3 to invidia q300 not loud, sounds good, throaty.
    Really? It is funny you say that because I have always enjoyed listening to the q300's through video. I worried though it might drone or be too much vroom in person. I'm glad you recommend it, as it appears to be one of the higher quality cbe's we have available.
    2011 wrx sedan DGM

-35% window tint
    -Continental DSW tires

I Support ClubWRX
    Im not good to judge on drone as I dont necessarily drive the car every day or hwy or fwy so.. I have heard droning issues with hatchback versions, not sedan tho

Im not good to judge on drone as I dont necessarily drive the car every day or hwy or fwy so.. I have heard droning issues with hatchback versions, not sedan tho
    I have it on good authority that Torque only drives his wrx's to chase terrorist planes down inconceivably long runways, all the noise from the planes makes it hard to judge drone.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast