AVO Intercooler Installed - Strange sound when starting engine
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AVO Intercooler Installed - Strange sound when starting engine within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thought I throw this one out to the tuner guys. I finished installing a new AVO Intercooler on my '13 ...

AVO Intercooler Installed - Strange sound when starting engine

Thought I throw this one out to the tuner guys. I finished installing a new AVO Intercooler on my '13 WRX, replaced the factory unit. Everything bolted up well and my new throttlebody hose I was using my stock intercooler sealed tight with the T-clamps, so no issues there. Started the car and checked for leaks and all looks and sounds good.

Issue, when I turn the engine over now I get a hollow cranking sound almost like there is a hole in the firewall and I can hear inside the starter motor as it's turning. The car does fire right up and maybe even a little quicker, could be my imagination though. Is the sound from the new intercooler being bigger and all aluminum creating the engine start sound echo? Once the engine is started and running everything else sounds normal. Footnote, I did swap out my stock "pitch stop" for a Kartboy Pitch Stop but don't think that would cause a different engine starting sound in the cabin.

Any help is as always appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its your pitch stop not the intercooler. im installing a new TMIC very soon and got a Perrin pitch stop to install so im anxious to hear how it sounds.

also how did you check for leaks?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    its your pitch stop not the intercooler. im installing a new TMIC very soon and got a Perrin pitch stop to install so im anxious to hear how it sounds.

also how did you check for leaks?
    Hmmm, I guess it could be NVH from the pitch stop but I didn't expect that on a startup. For the leak check I did a visual check for leaks and water spray on all connections and around the intercooler itself while engine was running. The only item I really notice from the pitch stop install was running the car in second gear you can hear the trans vibration whereas before nothing.

yep that was one of the things ive been told gets louder. ah ok yea on my bugeye im pressurizing the turbo inlet to check for leaks, tmic because it did leak and just got new gaskets, but you have a 2013 so you should be fine lol
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Pitch Stop. It's connects the tranny and firewall...starter is attached to the transmission...only makes sense, right?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Pitch Stop. It's connects the tranny and firewall...starter is attached to the transmission...only makes sense, right?
    no mikie, not at all. Who told you about this witchcraft?
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

I was pleased to see my stock intercooler when removed after 5,000 miles was bone dry, not a hint of blow-by on the inlet. Getting a dyno tune on the 22nd and I will ask Dan to look the engine bay over for any issues. Big week of changes, Kartboy shifter bushings, intercooler, pitch stop, and tomorrow EBCS (have a tune from TP to run with it until the Pro Tune).

Quote Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
    I was pleased to see my stock intercooler when removed after 5,000 miles was bone dry, not a hint of blow-by on the inlet. Getting a dyno tune on the 22nd and I will ask Dan to look the engine bay over for any issues. Big week of changes, Kartboy shifter bushings, intercooler, pitch stop, and tomorrow EBCS (have a tune from TP to run with it until the Pro Tune).
    Nice nice. Yea I'm kinda in the same situation as you lol. I have no blow by but I have a catch can in the cyclinder head vent line. Just installed my pitch stop with no noticeable cabin noise...kinda wanted some lol. Just installed tmic as well and doesn't leak recently installed ebcs and mbc and currently getting e-tuned.

What ebcs did you get? Talk to the tuner about a hybrid setup? Look in my signature for more info on that and talk to your tuner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.