First mods
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First mods within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I'm the proud new owner of a 2012 STi and am thinking about my first mod...cai. I've been ...

First mods

Hey all,
    I'm the proud new owner of a 2012 STi and am thinking about my first mod...cai. I've been doing some reseach and reading a lot about having to do a tune after a cai
    installation. I have also seen where injen cai claims to have the first "pre tuned" cai along with some others that claim the same. So the question is...Is there such a thing as a "pre tuned" cai or do I still need a tune after this part. most definitley do not want to throw a cel or cause any other damage what so ever.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130622_184540_resized.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No. I wouldn't buy into that. Injen has been notorious for making garbage intakes for Subarus since day one.

Stick with a known good brand, and plan a tune accordingly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    No. I wouldn't buy into that. Injen has been notorious for making garbage intakes for Subarus since day one.

Stick with a known good brand, and plan a tune accordingly.
    +1.

Plan around the tune not the intake. Decide what tune you are going to get because you will need to get one after the intake. What tune you get dictates what intake.

For instance Cobb has OTS maps for the Cobb intake & a AEM. But if you want to tune for a Perrin intake you will have to get the AP from them since only the APs sold directly by Perrin have the maps specific for Perrin intakes.

If you are going the protune path ask your tuner what he prefers. Same with Open source. See which intakes they have maps for.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Thanks guys, got it. Go with the tune first. I see alot about the Cobb access port. In yalls opinion, is it worth the money (not much more than cai anyway), Most of all is it safe and can all settings be put back to stock? Also if I ever had to take my car in for anything, would Subaru be able tell that I was adding mods at some point?
    Thanks again in advance!

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet car!

If Subaru wants to look into it, yes they can tell you have done mods...but who cares? If you break something because of your mods then you just take responsibly for fixing it.

I just paid $1900 for a 10 year full coverage warranty. I care. Even if I set everything back to stock, they will be able to tell?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you do something to the ECU they technically could tell. But that's only if you F something up and they have a reason to...If you are careful then you probably won't F something up. When you go in for oil changes, etc, they are not looking for that stuff. It's just normal people doing their every day job. If you file for a big warranty claim because you blew your engine, they will probably dig. If your wheel bearings go and you have a cat back exhaust, then you won't have issues. Even if something goes wrong, they could technically deny a claim even if you never did any mods. A warranty is there to protect against defects, not stupid behavior. If you have a defect, the warranty will cover it regardless of if you mod. If you cause an issue because you mod, then the warranty won't cover it. It is a choice you have to make. I would say if you want the warranty no questions asked then don't mod.

(BTW...sweet car again)

Hey, thanks man I appreciate the info and your pont of view. Do you or anyone you know have a Cobb accessport mod? Have you heard of anyone having problems after modding their car with it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130622_184540_resized.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	114780

I Support ClubWRX
    I have an accessport. I am at stage 2 and have had no issues thus far (had stage 2 about 10K miles now - knock on wood). I have the same car as you actually.

No wonder you like mine so much...were twins.
    Thanks again for the info....decisions decisions.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Just search for Cobb stage 1. Lots of talk about it recently and wouldn't take a long search. Maybe you'll find something to persuade you either way. Most people do suspension/shifter upgrades first.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.