STI Swap, btw I'm a newb.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI Swap, btw I'm a newb. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm new to the whole vehicle repair but I'm willing to learn. I have four guys I know that are ...

Exclamation STI Conversion. Motor, fueling, etc.

I'm new to the whole vehicle repair but I'm willing to learn. I have four guys I know that are car enthusiasts but they don't have much expierence with imports. We just discovered yesterday that the 02 WRX I bought is a lemon. There's a misfiring piston that's chipping away at whatever it's hitting causing copper shavings from the motor to show up in the oil when I change it. I put in thicker oil along with engine restore yesterday and it sort of silenced the piston tapping.

Long story short, I'm not looking for a fix so I'm going to go all out and do an STI swap and I've got a bunch of questions.

As far as the motor goes, is there a big difference between the JDM/Shortblock/Longblock/Complete motor?

What would be done as far as fueling and the ecu?

At the moment I have a SPT Short air intake, depending on the motor I go with will depend on if it's compatable with it correct?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by veg4; 06-24-2013 at 07:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    You can buy complete motor swaps. Get on the phone with some of the companies and they'll be able to give you prices and all the info you need. I'd give you some links but im on my phone. And I would also talk to some tuners about what motor setup would be best suited for your goals.

Shortblock-bottom end of motor w/ out the heads
    Longblock-including heads
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 06-24-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You can buy complete motor swaps. Get on the phone with some of the companies and they'll be able to give you prices and all the info you need. I'd give you some links but im on my phone. And I would also talk to some tuners about what motor setup would be best suited for your goals.

Shortblock-bottom end of motor w/ out the heads
    Longblock-including heads
    Excuse the ignorant question but what companies would offer complete motor swaps? I'll contact some tuners when I get off work. Unfortunately the closest tuner shop by me is like two or three hours away

Thank you for your response and info on the difference between shortblock and longblock.

Oooo bearings are fried (copper)!

This kind of a swap has been done millions of times and is pretty easy if you go the KISS route. Just google it and go from there when it comes to looking for parts (Nasioc/IWSTI classifieds, vendors, salvage yards, craigslist, ebay).

The easiest thing for you to do would be an STI (EJ257) short block, mated to your current heads (machined to match flow). This will allow you to retain your ECU and wiring harness. If you were to go long block and include STI heads, you're looking at replacing/splicing a wiring harness which would be another $500+, installing that harness which is mad time (time = $$$), and also swapping ECUs ($$$) since they are different.

Also keep in mind that doing this would only really be a benefit if you're going to replace the turbo, at which point you will need to upgrade the fueling components (injectors and fuel pump), TMIC, etc. Given that you've increased power, you would also need to look at getting better brake components (pads, fluid, lines).

And the most important part...you are gonna need a full tune for all of this.

And yes the SPT intake is compatible with pretty much any turbo Subaru engine you could put in.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The easiest thing for you to do would be an STI (EJ257) short block, mated to your current heads (machined to match flow). This will allow you to retain your ECU and wiring harness. If you were to go long block and include STI heads, you're looking at replacing/splicing a wiring harness which would be another $500+, installing that harness which is mad time (time = $$$), and also swapping ECUs ($$$) since they are different.
    This.

Also, the 2.1L stroker build (EJ257 crank and rods with forged EJ205 replacement pistons) yields some pretty impressive gains.

Honestly building is much simpler than longblock replacement. You could purchase an EJ257 longblock, plug the AVCS and switch back to your stock EJ205 intake manifold (this will retain the stock ECU and drive-by-cable throttle). However, the EJ257 power ceiling is not very impressive and honestly not much different from a stock EJ205. The EJ207 or EJ20G are the stoutest motors stock-for-stock, but are much more difficult to swap and will require splicing/ECU swaps. For the price, building your EJ205 will yield the most impressive results... whether you choose to use a 2.5L block or go the route of the 2.1L stroker.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Oooo bearings are fried (copper)!

This kind of a swap has been done millions of times and is pretty easy if you go the KISS route. Just google it and go from there when it comes to looking for parts (Nasioc/IWSTI classifieds, vendors, salvage yards, craigslist, ebay).

Also keep in mind that doing this would only really be a benefit if you're going to replace the turbo, at which point you will need to upgrade the fueling components (injectors and fuel pump), TMIC, etc. Given that you've increased power, you would also need to look at getting better brake components (pads, fluid, lines).

And the most important part...you are gonna need a full tune for all of this.

And yes the SPT intake is compatible with pretty much any turbo Subaru engine you could put in.
    Ah thank you! +1
    So if I decided after getting a shortblock, later on down the road that I'm ready and willing to get a longblock, I'd just have to get STI heads, replac the harness, and swap the ecu before I replace the turbo along with all of the other components? I'm thinking of just saving up some and getting a short block and whatever else I need done when I can just to get her up and running again.

This.

Also, the 2.1L stroker build (EJ257 crank and rods with forged EJ205 replacement pistons) yields some pretty impressive gains.

Honestly building is much simpler than longblock replacement. You could purchase an EJ257 longblock, plug the AVCS and switch back to your stock EJ205 intake manifold (this will retain the stock ECU and drive-by-cable throttle). However, the EJ257 power ceiling is not very impressive and honestly not much different from a stock EJ205. The EJ207 or EJ20G are the stoutest motors stock-for-stock, but are much more difficult to swap and will require splicing/ECU swaps. For the price, building your EJ205 will yield the most impressive results... whether you choose to use a 2.5L block or go the route of the 2.1L stroker.
    Hmmm. It's a good thing I have a while to think over everything while I save up because it looks like I have a lot to consider and research lol
    Last edited by veg4; 06-24-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Based on other's experience, complaints, and advice that i've heard, go with a 2.1 stroker if you're looking for an upgrade. The 2.5/2.0 hybrid has problems knocking and I've been warned against it by a couple different tuners.

Excuse the ignorant question but what companies would offer complete motor swaps? I'll contact some tuners when I get off work. Unfortunately the closest tuner shop by me is like two or three hours away
    I've seen NASIOC venders and some other parts companies that deal in importing/salvage that will sell you complete swaps and all necessary parts for front end conversions, trans swaps, and motor swaps.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax

If I had a 2.0L motor that needed a rebuild, I'd go the 2.1L route.

If I were you, I would contact Maxwell Power Services:
    http://www.getadomtune.com/

They are possibly the best engine builders in the business.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-24-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

What do y'all think about a 2.2 twin scroll? This other subie guy here I was talking to suggested that I get it, despite it being an open deck.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by veg4 View Post
    What do y'all think about a 2.2 twin scroll? This other subie guy here I was talking to suggested that I get it, despite it being an open deck.
    The 2.2L block is a closed deck. Twin scroll is great albeit expensive. I wouldn't put any concern into closed/open deck personally. With a good set of head studs you will be able to run 30+ psi of boosties. The cast iron cylinder liners on the EJ205 are plenty thick. Again, as Matty mentioned, give MPS a call... they know what the hell they are doing.

Facebook me here

I'm just considering repairing the thrown rod instead of replacing the engine right now since my funds are limited. When I replace the rod bearings should I replace anything else?

zax
    I'm just considering repairing the thrown rod instead of replacing the engine right now since my funds are limited. When I replace the rod bearings should I replace anything else?
    Waste of money. If you already have the engine torn apart, rebuild it!!! Furthermore, if the bearing is destroyed, that foreign material may have caused premature wear to other internal components.

Do you really want to spend $4k JUST to fix the rod and bearing?

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Waste of money. If you already have the engine torn apart, rebuild it!!! Furthermore, if the bearing is destroyed, that foreign material may have caused premature wear to other internal components.

Do you really want to spend $4k JUST to fix the rod and bearing?
    I know nothing about rebuilding and I figured it would be cheaper to replace the rod and bearing, guess not. How much would I have to spend to rebuild it?

zax
    I know nothing about rebuilding and I figured it would be cheaper to replace the rod and bearing, guess not. How much would I have to spend to rebuild it?
    As mentioned, I really urge you to contact MPS. I'm neither an engine builder or a professional automotive Engineer.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    As mentioned, I really urge you to contact MPS. I'm neither an engine builder or a professional automotive Engineer.
    True. I've just been busy with work, I'll probably give them a call this afternoon though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.