What's next after stage 1 cobb ap?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What's next after stage 1 cobb ap? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, Just got my cobb ap and my 13 wagon wrx does feel more responsive. Haven't had the time ...

What's next after stage 1 cobb ap?

Hey guys,
    Just got my cobb ap and my 13 wagon wrx does feel more responsive. Haven't had the time to use the data log to see if the parameters are okay, hope so.

In the mean time I have been thinking what's next? Downpipe/ stage 2 or suspension upgrade first?

Fyi, I like driving up and down hills so a suspension upgrade would allow better handling. Like those cambered look too. Can I use stock tires thou? Considering fortune 500 series.

On the other hand, going stage 2. Since I already got the cobb ap, I thought might as well go for it first. So far with stage 1, its nice but doesnt feel significant difference.

So which route you guys think I should take? Both option allows for happy times, want to know which one is best at the moment

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MG-rex View Post
    Like those cambered look too... Considering fortune 500 series.

Don't do it.. the "look" is retarded and will ruin the handling of your car. Also, the Fortune Auto 500 Series coilovers will result in much worse ride comfort and poorer handling performance compared to the stock suspension.

If you're wanting to lower the car and improve handling you should be looking to spend around $1000 on springs and struts. If you want a good handling coilover that will be adjustable then your budget should increase to around $2300. If you're looking for a cheaper option to improve the way your car takes corners then I would suggest front and rear sway bars. And the stock tires aren't that good, so you might think about replacing them.. but if money is tight I would probably just ride it out until you've used them up a little more. Same story with the brake pads..

If I were to start over, the very first thing I would do to my car would be swaybars. More fun per dollar than anything else.

Thought about getting sway bars. Not such a big investment compared to full suspension kit. But if it does help cornering, then I'll try it. Just thought that a cambered front tires would add more cornering grip and allow higher speed.

How about upgrading stock brakes pads? Do I need to invest calipers or just swapping to after market brake pads is enough? Heard about CL sintered brake pad. But for awd, do I need 4 of them or just the front?
    So right now, am leaning towards downpipe and pro tune with sway bar upgrades. Considering brake pad upgrade too.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MG-rex
    Thought about getting sway bars. Not such a big investment compared to full suspension kit. But if it does help cornering, then I'll try it. Just thought that a cambered front tires would add more cornering grip and allow higher speed.

How about upgrading stock brakes pads? Do I need to invest calipers or just swapping to after market brake pads is enough? Heard about CL sintered brake pad. But for awd, do I need 4 of them or just the front?
    So right now, am leaning towards downpipe and pro tune with sway bar upgrades. Considering brake pad upgrade too.
    Tires are the most important aspect of handling/braking.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

So is the AP not a worthwhile investment? I was seriously considering ordering it and the COBB intake.
    "When we understand us, our consciousness, we also understand the universe and the separation disappears."
    ~ Amit Goswami ~

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    So is the AP not a worthwhile investment? I was seriously considering ordering it and the COBB intake.
    I would say its worthwhile. Engine feels more responsive than stock. I haven't had the time to play with it but I think the car runs better. Not like day and night difference since mine is not sti but feels better, you know.

The thing is I feel that for the investment, its not enough. Hence, I'm thinking to get another upgrade just so its more noticeable.

Downpipe, intake or suspension. Saw youtube videos on an after market air intake and its louud. So I'm going for the downpipe but hey I'm kinda new to this.

Plus already got the ap so might as well go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post

There are dozens of threads in which this question has been discussed in length.. this is not one of them.

To answer your question.. it depends.

I would say its worthwhile. Engine feels more responsive than stock. I haven't had the time to play with it but I think the car runs better. Not like day and night difference since mine is not sti but feels better, you know.

The thing is I feel that for the investment, its not enough. Hence, I'm thinking to get another upgrade just so its more noticeable.

Downpipe, intake or suspension. Saw youtube videos on an after market air intake and its louud. So I'm going for the downpipe but hey I'm kinda new to this.

Sounds like me and you are pretty much in the same boat. I figured AP first since most other mods require tune.
    "When we understand us, our consciousness, we also understand the universe and the separation disappears."
    ~ Amit Goswami ~

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    There are dozens of threads in which this question has been discussed in length.. this is not one of them.

To answer your question.. it depends.
    Seems to be the general consensus
    ~ Amit Goswami ~

Since you already have the Accessport, I'd say get the most out of it by going Stg 2 with a downpipe. You'll get more power, better responsiveness and quicker spool. If you ever switch from Stg2 to stock or vice versa you'll notice a big difference. And if you're not worried about smell and black exhaust tips you can save some money by getting a catless downpipe.

As far as handling goes..tires and sways would be a good choice. And the tires will improve your braking too.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    Since you already have the Accessport, I'd say get the most out of it by going Stg 2 with a downpipe. You'll get more power, better responsiveness and quicker spool. If you ever switch from Stg2 to stock or vice versa you'll notice a big difference. And if you're not worried about smell and black exhaust tips you can save some money by getting a catless downpipe.

As far as handling goes..tires and sways would be a good choice. And the tires will improve your braking too.
    Think that's what I'm going for. Silly question but howd you describe raspy? Is it like that loud high pitch EEEE? If so would like to get a quieter deep rumble sound.

How bad is the smell though? You say like it smell from the interior. Also what do ppl do to pass the smog test?

Think that's what I'm going for. Silly question but howd you describe raspy? Is it like that loud high pitch EEEE? If so would like to get a quieter deep rumble sound.

How bad is the smell though? You say like it smell from the interior. Also what do ppl do to pass the smog test?

If you have to pass emissions in your area then you will have to "cheat the system" so to speak. Even a high flow catted downpipe will not pass emissions testing.. in fact, any modification to any emissions control (including tampering with the ECU, ie, "tuning" your car) is illegal under federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If you have to pass emissions in your area then you will have to "cheat the system" so to speak. Even a high flow catted downpipe will not pass emissions testing.. in fact, any modification to any emissions control (including tampering with the ECU, ie, "tuning" your car) is illegal under federal law.
    So do i need to save my stock downpipe, should I need to swap it back? Man what a dilemma. I'll ask my local shop what to do and recommendations.
    When I bought the AP, he said that I need a protune should I go for downpipe Stage 2. But he also said about the fitment is strange/ weird on 2013 models and he would need to tinker with other parts of the turbo. I dont really get it and I could be wrong but has anyone heard something about it? I think it was a fitment issue.

sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.. or doesn't make his points clearly.... or something was lost in translation

Whether you need to worry about emissions testing depends on what county you register your car in and what kind of testing they perform there. Where I have my car registered there is no emissions testing.. as long as you have exhaust pipes, your wipers, horn, brakes, and lights work, and you have no CEL, you pass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.