What's next after stage 1 cobb ap? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on What's next after stage 1 cobb ap? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MG-rex Think that's what I'm going for. Silly question but howd you describe raspy? Is it like ...

Quote Originally Posted by MG-rex View Post
    Think that's what I'm going for. Silly question but howd you describe raspy? Is it like that loud high pitch EEEE? If so would like to get a quieter deep rumble sound.

How bad is the smell though? You say like it smell from the interior. Also what do ppl do to pass the smog test?
    As far as the raspy sound, it's hard to describe. It's not annoying or anything, and it's not high pitched either.

The smell is only noticeable when walking behind the car while it's running, nothing to worry about IMO but some are annoyed by it.

So do i need to save my stock downpipe, should I need to swap it back? Man what a dilemma. I'll ask my local shop what to do and recommendations.
    When I bought the AP, he said that I need a protune should I go for downpipe Stage 2. But he also said about the fitment is strange/ weird on 2013 models and he would need to tinker with other parts of the turbo. I dont really get it and I could be wrong but has anyone heard something about it? I think it was a fitment issue.
    What I've done the last couple years is swap back to the stock downpipe whenever I need an emissions test. Just make sure that when you reflash back to the stock tune you drive it for a day or so before going to get the test done otherwise you will fail like I did because of "offline monitors." I took it back the next day and passed with flying colors.

I don't know what your guy is talking about concerning the "weird" fitment on a 2013. My 2013 STi fitment is exactly, and I mean exactly, the same as my 2011 WRX was. In fact I'm still using the same downpipe - Invidia Catless. And I just swapped the turbo to a 20G XT-R, and fitment is exactly the same on that too, FWIW.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

And +1 to everything MainFrame said...

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated for the time.

The local shop said basically to change the downpipe, he will need to do extra work but he can waive it since I will be paying for the tune. But I will clarify with him again.

Going with nameless catback exhaust 4".

Another question guys. Once I install the downpipe, all I need to do next is flash the map to stage 2 or professional tune?

Another question guys. Once I install the downpipe, all I need to do next is flash the map to stage 2 or professional tune?
    Precisely.

I Support ClubWRX
    If I were you and I was going downpipe and already had the AP, I would install the DP, flash stage 2, and monitor to see how the car received it. If you run into any issues, then I would get a protune. If the car receives it well and you don't get significant knock, then run the base stage 2 map till you have enough money to invest in an aftermarket intercooler, injectors, fuel pump (or more), and then get a protune.

But I agree that before you go too far you want suspension and brake upgrades if you have a wrx.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    he will need to do extra work..

Maybe he's talking about trimming the turbo heatshield to fit over the downpipe..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Maybe he's talking about trimming the turbo heatshield to fit over the downpipe..
    I thought about that too, but what threw me off is that's not unique to the 2013.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yea.. never said you can't pass, just that it's illegal.

Thug.

Hey guys,
    Just got my cobb ap and my 13 wagon wrx does feel more responsive. Haven't had the time to use the data log to see if the parameters are okay, hope so.

In the mean time I have been thinking what's next? Downpipe/ stage 2 or suspension upgrade first?

Fyi, I like driving up and down hills so a suspension upgrade would allow better handling. Like those cambered look too. Can I use stock tires thou? Considering fortune 500 series.

On the other hand, going stage 2. Since I already got the cobb ap, I thought might as well go for it first. So far with stage 1, its nice but doesnt feel significant difference.

So which route you guys think I should take? Both option allows for happy times, want to know which one is best at the moment
    There is no doubt in my mind that your next move should actually be 3 moves at once. (Personal experience). turbo back exhaust, headers, walbro fuel pump and a proper tune from a legit tuner. The Cobb tunes cover a broad band of parameters to make it car friendly to all. A tune will give you far more power simply because it changes your parameters SPECIFIC to your car only and believe me......every car is different even though they may be the same model. You won't be disappointed
    "Hey Derik, do you know whats good for shoulder pain?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.