I dont know what engine will work!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I dont know what engine will work! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently purchased a 2002 WRX Wagon without an engine or transmission. I am looking to purchase both and make ...

I dont know what engine will work!

I recently purchased a 2002 WRX Wagon without an engine or transmission.

I am looking to purchase both and make a fun little car!

I see a lot of engines for sale on the electronic bay dot com - EJ20 2.0 DOHC Turbo - but they arent necesarily for my year. I need to know which engines will work with my car and wire harness. I dont mind doing some work. If i got an engine from a 1996 WRX would i be able to make it work without much issue?

There is also an engine or two that i have seen that say 1999-2005 but i dont think that is a year range when where the engines were the same..

what do you guys think? I am new to the WRX world. This is my first one

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you wanting to put the stock engine back in or do a full engine swap?

Also are you in the US?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I dont mind doing some work but im looking at my most affordable option and i think that would be the stock engine. I think that would be the easiest option as well?

I am in the US

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah putting a stock engine/trans will be the easiest option by far. Does the car already have the stock wiring harness/ecu?

If so you can look for an EJ205 these can come from any 2002-2005 WRX. I would recommend trying to find a BA trans to match. The AA trans is said to be a little weaker.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

So years other than that wont work? Would i have to change out the ECU and wiring harness?

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru changed engines in 2006 to a 2.5 liter. You can certainly use one of those if you wanted but, you will have to change wiring harness/ecu and the differentials I believe.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

how about years like mid 90s

I Support ClubWRX
    The US didn't get the WRX until 2002 so anything before then would mean changing pretty much everything.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Also - what about JDM engines?

I Support ClubWRX
    Well technically every WRX engine is JDM because Subaru builds all their cars in Japan.

I think what you mean is Japanese spec engines like EJ207 then that would also require modification.

Basically anything other than a EJ205 will need modifying. It will not be plug and play.

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

insteresting - ok thank you good sir!

Yes, the stock engine would be the easiest. You COULD do a Hybrid with any 2.5L block as long as you had 02-05 2.0L heads attached (machined to match first)...but that might cost a bit more.

But for the sake of not having to screw with the wiring harness or ECU, or with having to tune...finding a complete 2.0L long block would be the easiest and cheapest.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.