Meth injection, why do so many tuners shy away from it?

This is a discussion on Meth injection, why do so many tuners shy away from it? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I posted this in the injection area, but I guess not many people go on there. I'm just curious if ...

Meth injection, why do so many tuners shy away from it?

I posted this in the injection area, but I guess not many people go on there.

I'm just curious if there are so many safeguards for meth/alcohol injection why so many tuners shy away from it when you ask them. Are they just lazy and don't want to tune for it? I don't have e85 in my area and while I have no decided that I would want to do meth injection. I'd like to know if it's a problem. Is it just a headache and something to constantly worry about? It seems like it's a good safeguard against detonation and therefore good to protect the motor no?

Is it just a constant PITA or what?

Anyone here have a meth injection set-up? If so, are there constant issues with it?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's one more system to go wrong. If you tune aggressively for the methanol (rather than just using it for knock suppression), and there's an issue, you could be looking at a motor build.

With the availability of E85, and the power it gives consistently (vs spraying meth), a lot of tuners would prefer to tune on E.

Some methanol setups are better than others. Some failsafes are better than the others.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's one more system to go wrong. If you tune aggressively for the methanol (rather than just using it for knock suppression), and there's an issue, you could be looking at a motor build.

With the availability of E85, and the power it gives consistently (vs spraying meth), a lot of tuners would prefer to tune on E.

Some methanol setups are better than others. Some failsafes are better than the others.
    Yeah, I understand obviously some kits and such would always be better. If E85 were easily accessible, i'd go with it, but 45 min at least in each direction? Really not worth it... even if I were to get 50 gallon drums of it.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's one more thing that is different. I think the basic idea is that tuners are making more power on E85, and tuning is easier. You just use your wideband and go to town, I believe.

Meth requires a few more steps since the wideband isn't the whole story anymore. You have another thing to moderate - the injection rate. It's one more thing that can be too much / too little / etc.

Either way, I plan on getting a meth kit once I do my intercooler. I'm not crazy about E85 anymore. Around here, it's too hard to find, too expensive, and having 30% less capacity would get old quickly. Also, its not nice on the fuel system (the injectors are constantly soaking in it) and its extremely hygroscopic (like brake fluid - it absorbs water from the air), so you don't want to let it sit for long in your tank or else you have bad gas.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think the safeguards on modern meth kits are sufficient - assuming they are installed properly.

No first hand experience, yet, but that's my thoughts on the matter from a combination of books and internet trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I am interested in doing this as well. I would need to find a tuner local to me that is willing to get it right though. CBRD might be a good place to go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I am interested in doing this as well. I would need to find a tuner local to me that is willing to get it right though. CBRD might be a good place to go.
    Just make sure you install it correctly. I plan on installing one when I do an air/water intercooler build... down the road a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro