SPT Intake... tune needed?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on SPT Intake... tune needed? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, so I know a tune is virtually always recommended for an intake. But supposedly the SPT one can be ...

SPT Intake... tune needed?

Okay, so I know a tune is virtually always recommended for an intake. But supposedly the SPT one can be run safely without a tune (according to Subaru). I'm currently protuned at Stage 2 and lately I've been really wanting a little woooshhh/pshhh action (I know, I know... ). Getting tuned again would be a major pain and expense (driving at least 4 hrs and probably $300). Don't want the sound THAT bad.

Thoughts anyone? I've searched and researched and it seems like many wouldn't trust the SPT intake... but then again I'm trusting Subaru to have engineered an entire car correctly, I would think I could trust them for an intake.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'll be fine with an SPT intake on your bugeye. It doesn't change the diameter of the MAF housing, or the location, much from the stock airbox.

Just do some logging to make sure you're alright.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Thanks man. A couple friends of mine have Tactrix cables so that shouldn't be an issue. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

I Support ClubWRX
    SPT is generally considered a "safe" intake to run on stock MAF calibration. Depending on how much calibration your tuner did on the first tune (the stock airbox can use some tweaking in the MAF scaling table), it may/may not be an issue. Logging would be the only way to really know, and you'll need a WBO2 for anything in open-loop. If you're tuned via OpenECU and you get me logs and the map, I could help you make any adjustments you needed...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

That would be great. Would I need to get the map from the tuner? Probably possible... but the tune was done a couple years ago in a different state. I'm not exactly sure what tuning software he used, but it was a road tune done with laptop connected to the OBDII port.

I know a friend of mine has a Tatrix cable that he used to go Stage 2 with a tune from Torqued Performance... I'm assuming that he would have to have a WBO2 sensor to do that. I could borrow his stuff when the intake gets here and send you some logs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight
    That would be great. Would I need to get the map from the tuner? Probably possible... but the tune was done a couple years ago in a different state. I'm not exactly sure what tuning software he used, but it was a road tune done with laptop connected to the OBDII port.

I know a friend of mine has a Tatrix cable that he used to go Stage 2 with a tune from Torqued Performance... I'm assuming that he would have to have a WBO2 sensor to do that. I could borrow his stuff when the intake gets here and send you some logs.
    A tactrix cable would let you pull the map.

A WBO2 sensor is located in your downpipe, and wouldn't necessarily be on your buddys car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A tactrix cable would let you pull the map.

A WBO2 sensor is located in your downpipe, and wouldn't necessarily be on your buddys car.
    Beautiful. I thought that a WBO2 was pretty necessary for a Stage II tune? Maybe I'm off on that. I'll see if I can come up with one when the intake comes and I'll shoot you a PM.

Okay, so this is interesting.

For quite a long time now... not sure if since I've had the car (3 years) or since I've gone Stage 2 (~2 years), the car has always had a little "hiccup" when getting into boost at moderate throttle. Nothing major... but if I was accelerating from a stoplight under moderate throttle, it would accelerate smoothly, then hiccup a bit, then accelerate smoothly. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was causing it and eventually pinned down that if I cleaned the MAF sensor, it would solve the issue... but only for a couple days. In the end, I learned to live with it.

So I just installed the SPT intake a few days ago... and the hiccup is gone. The car feels SO great. It's easily worth much much more than the cost of the intake to get the car to feel this smooth.

So here's the question... I haven't managed to track down a WBO2 sensor yet to do any datalogging. I'm basically working 7am to 11pm this whole week and I'm only driving <10min a day... so I haven't worried about tracking down a WBO2 sensor yet. I still plan on doing that... but I'm almost wondering if it is necessary. Could something that makes the car drive SO dramatically better really be operating incorrectly?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.