Reliable but powerful 2012 WRX mods - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Reliable but powerful 2012 WRX mods within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I haven't personally driven a car with BCs, but they're generally not regarded as being a very good coilover. I'm ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't personally driven a car with BCs, but they're generally not regarded as being a very good coilover. I'm fairly certain I could put together a similarly priced set of springs and struts that will out perform BC coilovers in both ride comfort as well as handling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    I'm fairly certain I could put together a similarly priced set of springs and struts that will out perform BC coilovers in both ride comfort as well as handling.
    You may be "fairly" certain, but I'm 100% certain.

I'll just leave this here...
    Cheap coilovers and droop - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Isn't one of the knocks against budget coilovers their longevity? I'd rather spend the same amount for a good strut/spring setup, which will improve my ride on the street and last as long as a more expensive coilover, then get cheap coilovers and have to replace/refurbish them frequently, even if that might end up costing the same as the expensive coilovers in the end.

I guess my point is, if the goal is not to track the car do you need adjustable coilovers?

If not, then why not get the good strut/spring combo that costs the same as the cheaper coilovers and will still give a nice ride for a DD and last longer?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball
    Isn't one of the knocks against budget coilovers their longevity? I'd rather spend the same amount for a good strut/spring setup, which will improve my ride on the street and last as long as a more expensive coilover, then get cheap coilovers and have to replace/refurbish them frequently, even if that might end up costing the same as the expensive coilovers in the end.

I guess my point is, if the goal is not to track the car do you need adjustable coilovers?

If not, then why not get the good strut/spring combo that costs the same as the cheaper coilovers and will still give a nice ride for a DD and last longer?
    Inexpensive coilovers typically utilize inexpensive parts. Inexpensive parts have lower QC and less R&D. What that means is you get an inferior part that delivers inferior performance.

UNYSOC

Agreed that some of the lower priced spring and strut options are a great option. I just stumbled on a deal for BC's that was too good to pass up and, from what I saw in my limited research, those spring/strut combos didn't lower the car enough for my taste. I've been enjoying the BC's handling, adjustability, and adjustable ride height ever since. Much better than the stock marshmallows.

Also, my original comments toward avoiding springs on stock struts was based on the fact that springs, labor, then replacing the struts once they blow...would seem to me to justify another few weeks of saving up for an aftermarket set of suspension. Then you could reinstall the OE suspension and sell the aftermarket stuff when the car sells too! Another reason I said lower priced coilovers was, especially since I wanted to experiment with different ride heights myself and had a lower budget too, was because the OP obviously didn't want to spend a ton of dough given they were just looking to mount lowering springs on OE struts.

Moral of all our conversation here, LOTS of options.....just what a consumer wants. And I have no problem admitting I'm no pro here, only been doing this stuff for a little over a year.

Later

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRising
    Agreed that some of the lower priced spring and strut options are a great option. I just stumbled on a deal for BC's that was too good to pass up and, from what I saw in my limited research, those spring/strut combos didn't lower the car enough for my taste. I've been enjoying the BC's handling, adjustability, and adjustable ride height ever since. Much better than the stock marshmallows.

Also, my original comments toward avoiding springs on stock struts was based on the fact that springs, labor, then replacing the struts once they blow...would seem to me to justify another few weeks of saving up for an aftermarket set of suspension. Then you could reinstall the OE suspension and sell the aftermarket stuff when the car sells too! Another reason I said lower priced coilovers was, especially since I wanted to experiment with different ride heights myself and had a lower budget too, was because the OP obviously didn't want to spend a ton of dough given they were just looking to mount lowering springs on OE struts.
    Every time you adjust your ride height, you need to get an alignment. Factor in $100/adjustment (not sure what alignments cost in your area, but that's mine), if you don't DIY align.

I'm not going to get into the aspect of "springs didn't lower enough", nor the fact that you could've bought a second-hand set of struts/springs for the same price (in fact, I had a setup that I'd put toe-to-toe with BCs anyday FS myself around that price). Read the link I posted earlier, as it specifically talks about BC coilovers.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    Also, my original comments toward avoiding springs on stock struts was based on the fact that springs, labor, then replacing the struts once they blow...would seem to me to justify another few weeks of saving up for an aftermarket set of suspension.

That's why you don't put lowering springs on OE struts in the first place. Assemble the aftermarket struts with the new springs, then install them..

I would like to try struts and springs at some point just to see. What combos do you guys around here prefer?

Im probably not going to get coilovers because this car is more of a daily driver( i have a 1972 240z im putting a 280z engine in that im getting fully rebuilt, bored .40 over, putting a cam in it, high performance carb, headers and exhaust) so im thinking ill probably just get swaybars for now and some new rubber. but i did find out i live within 5 miles of an e85 station so that is quite tempting... but i have decided im not going to dump close to 1 grand into an exhaust just for sound, but instead i am thinking about getting some el headers, along with the catless dp and tune etc. but i am worried about reliability issues with getting new headers for an engine like this. Does anybody have any feedback on first hand experience with el headers and reliability?

also im wondering what kind of hp #s i would get w/ my new combo vs my old one:
    OLD:
    invidia Catless downpipe
    invidia cbe
    and of course a solid tune(precision tuning)

NEW:
    catless downpipe
    stock exhaust
    el headers
    same tune
    and maybe an intake if that would give me some gains because of the headers

I dont think i would want the e85 tune because i take roadtrips and i dont wanna have to worry about running out of gas or finding stations etc(like stated before, daily driver)
    Last edited by kdeitrich; 07-21-2013 at 10:17 AM.

zax
    You cannot do this:

Quote Originally Posted by kdeitrich View Post
    el headers
    and retain this:

same tune
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

ok im looking for something thats good, how much is a pretty good tire ? but not top of the line

A little late for this post, but look at Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

They are top of the line, pretty much beat all the other summer tires in all categories, and cost less. I got then for right at $800. They also have one of the best tread life of the summer tires.

I did a lot of research for weeks before I found these. Considering they cost less than a lot of the other tires, and out perform them. Best bang for your buck!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    You cannot do this:

and retain this:
    Well, you can, but it's not advisable, at least without logging to verify there aren't issues. Also, without altering the tune, you will not make use of the benefits of the ELH.

UNYSOC

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Well, you can, but it's not advisable, at least without logging to verify there aren't issues. Also, without altering the tune, you will not make use of the benefits of the ELH.
    Let me clarify: I wouldn't retain the same tune.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

could you elaborate on why you wouldnt get the el header or retain the same tune?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.