Reliable but powerful 2012 WRX mods - Page 5
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Reliable but powerful 2012 WRX mods within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; im not positive, i have to call tomorrow so ill check then. But ive heard the ap is good to ...

im not positive, i have to call tomorrow so ill check then. But ive heard the ap is good to have just to make sure everything is running good, is this true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kdeitrich View Post
    im not positive, i have to call tomorrow so ill check then. But ive heard the ap is good to have just to make sure everything is running good, is this true?
    Well, if your tuner doesn't use it and you still want to periodically do some logs to check to make sure things are good, there are much cheaper alternatives.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

ok cool, like what?

ok cool, like what?
    Taken directly from the precision tuning website

Tuning - Appointment required!
    Utec - $450
    Opensource - $450
    Accessport - $450
    Hydra - $600 & up
    AEM - $600

just their tuning methods.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

ok cool, but is there anything cheaper like calvinball said?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A vag com cable is like $10.. I've never looked into whether or not they're able to log 3rd gens, but they worked fine for logging older year models.

ok cool, ill look into that. thanks

Don't believe vag com cables work with the third gens. You would have to get a Tactrix cable, which at $170 is still quite cheaper than an accessport. From the list Amplified posted, looks like Precision will work with that (this would be "opensource"). Call Precision up to discuss their options with them. Most places, if you are tuning with the AP, will require you to purchase the AP on top of their fee for tuning. If that's the case with them, then you might as well get the tactrix rather than the AP. After they tune your car the map will be locked, so the accessport then is only useful for datalogging. Why spend hundreds when the Tactrix plus a laptop can do the same thing for less.

But again, why don't you just call Precision? If they are going to be your tuner, you should discuss this all with them.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Don't believe vag com cables work with the third gens. You would have to get a Tactrix cable, which at $170 is still quite cheaper than an accessport. From the list Amplified posted, looks like Precision will work with that (this would be "opensource"). Call Precision up to discuss their options with them. Most places, if you are tuning with the AP, will require you to purchase the AP on top of their fee for tuning. If that's the case with them, then you might as well get the tactrix rather than the AP. After they tune your car the map will be locked, so the accessport then is only useful for datalogging. Why spend hundreds when the Tactrix plus a laptop can do the same thing for less.
    But again, why don't you just call Precision? If they are going to be your tuner, you should discuss this all with them.
    i have called and talked some of it through with them, im just not ready for the tune yet. but i wanted to see what other people (wrx owners) had to say on top of precision's professional opinion before ordering parts

Well as of now im thinking this is what im going to do:
    invidia Catless downpipe
    invidia cbe
    sway bars
    new spt springs
    new tires
    short shifter(maybe)
    and of course a solid tune(precision tuning)

Reliable but powerful 2012 WRX mods

F yes with one exception, the springs. Just save up for another few weeks and get coilovers. You can return it to stock when you sell it, you won't blow up your stock struts that weren't built for the higher spring rates and.....you can adjust the height to exactly where you want as well as adjusting the damping from commuter to **** you corner I win!!

GL with it, you're for sure on a good track here!

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    F yes with one exception, the springs. Just save up for another few weeks and get coilovers. You can return it to stock when you sell it, you won't blow up your stock struts that weren't built for the higher spring rates and.....you can adjust the height to exactly where you want as well as adjusting the damping from commuter to **** you corner I win!!

GL with it, you're for sure on a good track here!
    Nice to know about those springs and how the struts cant really handle it. Ill def drop them off the list and go for the coil overs.. thanks for the advice

Nice to know about those springs and how the struts cant really handle it. Ill def drop them off the list and go for the coil overs.. thanks for the advice
    Don't go for coilovers unless you can really afford something worth it, otherwise you'll be stuck with ****ty coilovers...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

If they're in your budget, that's fine.. but keep in mind good coilovers cost around $2300.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If they're in your budget, that's fine.. but keep in mind good coilovers cost around $2300.
    I've had some BC BR's on for a while now and drive 70 miles per day, really enjoy them. Bought them used too. I ride them firm, 16-19 clicks, for spirited runs but really pretty soft, 5-7 clicks, for commuting. You don't "need" to spend $2300 on coils to enjoy adjustable ride height and improved handling. Like most things in life, yes the more $$ you spend the more solid of a product you usually get....to a point of course. All coils require some maintenance and for what I paid for my BC's, I could by 4 sets for $2300

Not bagging anyone but, not every application requires track capable equipment.

Bottom line, do your homework and be comfortable with what you feel fits your use requirements as well as your budget.

And "good" is not much of a qualification for the OP. Maybe some objective differences to qualify the $800-$1300 price difference from BC's, or similar, up to "good" $2300 coilovers could be helpful here.

Cheers!