Reliable but powerful 2012 WRX mods - Page 11
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

This is a discussion on Reliable but powerful 2012 WRX mods within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Your tuner should make u a free limp map. It basically puts ur car into limp mode so nothing gets ...

Your tuner should make u a free limp map. It basically puts ur car into limp mode so nothing gets damaged. I drove over 2 hours on mine do u have a Accessport?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Your tuner should make u a free limp map. It basically puts ur car into limp mode so nothing gets damaged. I drove over 2 hours on mine do u have a Accessport?
    Many tuners charge for a limp map.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Many tuners charge for a limp map.
    True. But a limp map will be cheaper than part install.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs
    Good to know. I would be curious to see some dyno charts if anyone has before and afters. Or oem flow rates.
    2011 Subaru STI stage 2 plus intake. Before/After intake test. - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

My argument is that he is not maxing out turbo with that tune. With a 300+whp tune on a wrx u (or any vehicle) u must address the weakest link/ bottleneck first. With the 3G, it's the intercooler and fuel system rather than the intake. Now if u maked the vehicle out without the intake and then were able to squeak out more on the aftermarket then it would be more conclusive. But u don't need an intake for any of the ots maps and I am still not convinced that it is a restriction for the sm's goals. But he wants it and that's cool, it's all about preferance. Thx for the link though, I appreciate it.

I Support ClubWRX
    My argument is that he is not maxing out turbo with that tune. With a 300+whp tune on a wrx u (or any vehicle) u must address the weakest link/ bottleneck first. With the 3G, it's the intercooler and fuel system rather than the intake. Now if u maked the vehicle out without the intake and then were able to squeak out more on the aftermarket then it would be more conclusive. But u don't need an intake for any of the ots maps and I am still not convinced that it is a restriction for the sm's goals. But he wants it and that's cool, it's all about preferance. Thx for the link though, I appreciate it.
    I'm aware of the restrictions of the stock TMIC and BPV. I have to limit the boost I target on tunes because of them.

You asked for before/after dynos of an intake; I provided you just that. You can see in the plots that the boost wasn't used for the additional power. I wouldn't run 19-19.5PSI on a stock WRX TMIC of that year, but the gains are not boost-related, so that's somewhat of a moot point.

People tune cars differently. I would say that if you're already getting a custom tune, I don't see harm in spending $250 on an intake for some additional power and some noise.
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-05-2013 at 02:10 PM.

UNYSOC

so i cant drive my car at all with these parts on it without being tuned?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kdeitrich
    so i cant drive my car at all with these parts on it without being tuned?
    The shop should send you a base map for the modifications. If they ask for money, verify it's a deposit and it'll go towards the tune final cost. If they're going to charge you full rip after you pay for a base map (so you can use their services), send them a picture of your ass with "Kiss This" written on it and find a new shop.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The shop should send you a base map for the modifications. If they ask for money, verify it's a deposit and it'll go towards the tune final cost. If they're going to charge you full rip after you pay for a base map (so you can use their services), send them a picture of your ass with "Kiss This" written on it and find a new shop.
    +1

I guess I worded my reply incorrectly. what I was getting at was this: how can u tell which power gains came from the intake? That was my point when I talked about the fuel system limitations. The SM in the link added fuel system upgrades in conjunction with the Cosworth intake system. Again: I am not trying to spark a heated debate about cai's but rather to gather information for anyone reading this thread (including myself!). I suppose there isn't much out there in the way of isolating individual power upgrade's actual outputs, as its not really time/cost effective. Thanks for the info and the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'm aware of the restrictions of the stock TMIC and BPV. I have to limit the boost I target on tunes because of them.

You asked for before/after dynos of an intake; I provided you just that. You can see in the plots that the boost wasn't used for the additional power. I wouldn't run 19-19.5PSI on a stock WRX TMIC of that year, but the gains are not boost-related, so that's somewhat of a moot point.

People tune cars differently. I would say that if you're already getting a custom tune, I don't see harm in spending $250 on an intake for some additional power and some noise.
    I couldn't agree more.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess I worded my reply incorrectly. what I was getting at was this: how can u tell which power gains came from the intake? That was my point when I talked about the fuel system limitations. The SM in the link added fuel system upgrades in conjunction with the Cosworth intake system. Again: I am not trying to spark a heated debate about cai's but rather to gather information for anyone reading this thread (including myself!). I suppose there isn't much out there in the way of isolating individual power upgrade's actual outputs, as its not really time/cost effective. Thanks for the info and the quick replies.
    I answered that question for you, already.

I typically see between 10-15whp peak gains, with similar or slightly more at redline; you will not see the massive (25-30whp) redline gains in the link I provided with stock injectors, as you'll need to dial things back a bit to keep IDCs in check.
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-05-2013 at 06:57 PM.

UNYSOC

Agree to disagree then. I don't think you are seeing the variables here...stock airbox on my 11 and turbo is maxed...no more cfm will help there...bottlenecked. if you have anything more technical than 'what I have seen' I would love to read it.

Sry kdeitrich, I will stop thread jacking...let us know what your tuner has to say

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    if you have anything more technical than 'what I have seen' I would love to read it.

Real world performance trumps internet theorizing, every time.

The turbo might be a bottle neck, but if you improve the volumetric efficiency of your engine power will increase regardless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.