10mm oil pump to 11mm?

This is a discussion on 10mm oil pump to 11mm? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello i have a 02 wrx with a cobb flash putting out 250hp (stage 1 i think) with other suspension ...

10mm oil pump to 11mm?

hello i have a 02 wrx with a cobb flash putting out 250hp (stage 1 i think) with other suspension mods and has 110K miles. I was told by a fellow subaru owner that my year was when they had problems with the 10mm oil pump not flowing enough oil to the engine and if i wanted to keep the engine that i should upgrade to a 11mm is this true? I like to drive the car the way it was designed fast and i want to track the car from time to time. i know it can only help but is it necessary or is the stock one fine? im new to subarus and trying to lean all i can. i know the tranny is fragile but i never heard about the oil pump till the other day. the pump is realitivly cheap but is it easy to install? should i wait till my next oil change since i just one? thanks for the help and im glad to finally be apart of the scooby doobie doo family

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Never heard of that. All 2.0L engines used the 10mm pump. The stock one is fine. The timing belt has to come off to change the oil pump.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Don't listen to your friend anymore.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you're thinking about taking an 02 on the track you need to be concerned with the oil pan and baffle, not the pump. My recommendation would be to switch to the ej257 oil pan and baffle (or Killer B baffle), and install a Killer B ultimate oil pickup. This will greatly help prevent oil starvation while cornering.

lol oguitar it wasnt a friend just some broha who saw my car and thought he would school me on some thanks donkey and mainframe for the advice. so when i change the pan, baffle, and pick up wouldnt i need to change the pump since i have more oil? or will the stock one be enough?
    Last edited by RallyCulture; 06-12-2013 at 12:28 PM.

The pump has to do with pressure, not the volume of oil. And for what it's worth, you would actually have LESS oil, not more.

The ej205 pan holds 4.8qts, the ej255/257 pan holds 4.2qts. If you want increased capacity you would need to get something like the Killer B aluminum oil pan, but it's not really necessary.

The pump has to do with pressure, not the volume of oil. And for what it's worth, you would actually have LESS oil, not more.

The ej205 pan holds 4.8qts, the ej255/257 pan holds 4.2qts. If you want increased capacity you would need to get something like the Killer B aluminum oil pan, but it's not really necessary.

really? wow i would have thought that it would be a bigger pan not a smaller one, why is that? so then when would you want to go to a bigger pan and why? only when u have crazy amount of hp?

The STi oil pan is smaller because of the design of it. It is more narrow and deeper, which helps prevent sloshing.

High demand racing applications will benefit from an increased volume of oil. The more oil the engine holds the longer it will take to break it down, so you can go longer between changes. If you're racing and needing to change your oil every weekend then a larger capacity pan will improve the overall quality of the oil while it is in there.

If you're just racing occasionally then the smaller oil pan will be fine. If UOAs indicate the oil is breaking down beyond expectable levels before your change interval comes up you could always just change it more often.