2012 exhaust manifold install

This is a discussion on 2012 exhaust manifold install within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sooooo, been trying to find a good DIY install on the headers but come up short. Can anybody direct me ...

I Support ClubWRX

2012 exhaust manifold install

Sooooo, been trying to find a good DIY install on the headers but come up short. Can anybody direct me to a good resource? The exhaust manifold I would like also comes with a up pipe. What kind of degree of difficulty is the header/up pipe combo?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    1.) is it an ELH or UELH?
    2.) Header install is VERY easy
    3.) Uppipe install can be a total PITA
    4.) Can the header use the stock UP if necessary?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    1.) is it an ELH or UELH?
    2.) Header install is VERY easy
    3.) Uppipe install can be a total PITA
    4.) Can the header use the stock UP if necessary?
    The Tomei UELH with up pipe. From my understanding I have to use the up pipe it comes with.

I just installed Invidia EL headers, although I do not have a step-by-step install ... I can give you some pointers to make the process smooth(er). The install in a nut shell is pretty straight forward (I'm taking it that since you plan on installing them your self that you are mechanically incline and have done similar installs ... like a down pipe).

1. Get some penetrating spray (my favorite is "PB blaster")

2. You will need an o2 sensor socket. The biggest problem I ran into was actually getting the o2 sensor out - which is the first step. For some reason the washer on the o2 sensor was stuck on the last thread. This was problematic because it hit the nut of the up-pipe and therefore would not allow me to completely remove it from it's bung. Since I did not want to take a chance of damaging the o2 sensor by forcing the washer off - I un-coupled it's connector and removed the heat shield. This gave me enough room to work the sensor out safely.

3. Then soak all the bolts of the OEM heat shield, uppipe and the header with penetrating spray. Do something else for 5-10 minutes. If you are in a garage, make sure the door is open. The stuff in pungent.

4. Take the heat shield off (if you didn't already)

5. Loosen nuts on the up-pipe and header. I kept one nut on either side of the header loosened to the end just prior to taking it off. Be careful taking those last two bolts off. The header is heavier than expected and wants to rotate towards the rear of the car.

6. For me, the Invidia header lined up perfectly with the head bolts. I had heard some people having issue with this and needed to stretch/pull the header to make it fit. So have a contingency plan if it doesn't line right up (you may need a second set of hands).

7. When installing your new header and tightening the bolts make sure you use a torque wrench. The factory suggested torque was 30 ft/lbs, I also read perrin's instuctions that suggest 50-55 ft/lbs - so I decided to tq the bolts to the manufacturer's specifications since I was using their gaskets (OEM). Also note, for my EL headers, I also had to use an ELBOW socket connector to tighten the bolts on the inside of the flange on both sides. You could not reach either bolt with a straight extension attachment. I luckily had this.

8. To note, the nuts for the header were (I believe) 17mm. In my socket set (and I believe most) this requires a 1/2 wrench and therefore, a 1/2 torque wrench. My torque wrench is 3/4 and I had to use a 3/4 to 1/2 converter. Luckily I had this as-well. So just make sure you have everything you need so you do not realize that you need something in the middle of the job

I didn't mention anything about the up-pipe because I kept my stock one. If you google or you tube it, I believe there is a video that talks about the up-pipe install. If I re-call you have to undo a motor mount and lift the engine up a bit to make room to get the up-pipe easily out and the new one back in.

I posted a thread regarding my install and results of adding an EL header (pro-tune and dyno) if your interested. You're installing an UEL header, so your torque and power gains won't be the same ...

Equal Length Header Question

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Wussola; 06-11-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow!!! Thanks a lot for your time and all the info!! This is more than I could of asked for!!

You're welcome .... Best of luck with the install!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure