? Header Damage

This is a discussion on ? Header Damage within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a quick question. I received my new Invidia EL header in the mail yesterday. When I took it ...

? Header Damage

I have a quick question. I received my new Invidia EL header in the mail yesterday. When I took it out of the package to inspect, I noticed that one of the flanges had a fairly deep nick (see picture - sorry crappy iphone pic) in it. It runs from the inside of the flange all the way to the outside. I've sent an email to the company I bought the header from, but haven't heard back yet. My worry is that the header could leak secondary to it .... I'm just wondering if I'm being crazy and the gasket will fill this in or if I should return it.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(30).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	114310
    Last edited by Wussola; 05-31-2013 at 06:50 AM.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd wait to hear back.

The gash doesn't look too deep... but you have to be careful with headers. The extreme heat they deal with can cause some problems when everything looks okay at first glance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

^ What he said. It doesn't look that bad at all, but I'd wait to hear back for sure. I THINK the gaskets I had would have filled it in (with the way they sat on mine), but I'm not 100% sure on the Invidias.

And honestly, you paid (relatively) serious amounts of cash for these, why be happy with a damaged part.

Personally, I wouldn't install it because I'm stupid and neurotic - this would always worry me. And Invidia seems to have good customer service, not sure where you bought it, but a return on something shouldn't be too hard. With my perrins, it was hard enough getting the flanges aligned on everything all at once (turbo, up, motor) and to tighten then down nice and neatly according to spec. Add in that scratch and I'd always going to be wondering.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Just slap some high temp Permatex on that gasket side.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S