Ppg gears vs 07 sti 6spd

This is a discussion on Ppg gears vs 07 sti 6spd within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Which would be better? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2...

Ppg gears vs 07 sti 6spd

Which would be better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Define "better". The six speed will handle more torque and should be more reliable. A 5mt with PPGs will be lighter with longer gear ratios. A six speed will have DCCD (if you hook it up right) and a stronger front diff. A 5mt with PPGs will be cheaper.

By better which one would be better suited for daily driving and 1/4th mile. I made up my mind finally. On what I'm doing so I think. Could I use 272 cams with the stage 1 short block?

What about Turbo wise.. I'm trying to figure that out as well. What's the difference between 20gxt and 2.0xt? If I'm going stage 1 short block I want to maintain a safe power rating. That block is rated for up to 400whp if I am not mistaken. So would 330whp be a good safe number?

If you're making under 450wtq I would say a 5mt with PPGs would be better for daily and 1/4 mile simply based on the longer ratios.

You could use 272s, but you will need a 35r sized turbo to take advantage of cams with that much duration.. and they will not be good for daily since you will be shifting power far to the right.

So 20gxt would be better suited for daily?

Yea, a 20g-XT would be great for daily on a 2.5L.. but it's not well suited to 272 cams. GSC S1s would probably be the best cams for a 20g, even STi cams wouldn't be bad.

So if I wanna do 272 cams I'd need like a 3071r. But only problem is that 272s arent great for daily? Btw if I do ppg what would you prefer straight cut or helix.

I would go as far to say that even a 3076 would be better suited to 268 cams than 272s. The thing is, the 30r turbine wheel does not flow enough up top to really warrant 272s. Even with my GTX3576r it was debatable if S1 cams would be better than S2s. S1 cams will be better for power from 4000-6000 rpm, S2 cams (272) will be better for power from 5500-7500 rpm. Both should produce LESS power below 4000rpm than stock cams, although I would imagine the hit from S1s would be much less than if you got S2s. A 20g is going to make the majority of it's power from 4000-6000rpm, then it's going to run out of breath.. so if you paired it with 272s you would make less power from 4000-5500rpm and not much more from 6000-7500rpm because the turbo's turbine wheel simply isn't large enough to make power that high.

As far as helical vs. straight cut gears.. I would imagine helical would shift smoother and be quieter, and helical is stronger by design, but I believe PPG states that their straight cut gears are actually stronger because they have thicker teeth. I don't have experience driving with either, only riding, so my input is limited.