Equal Length Header Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Equal Length Header Question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got pro-tuned yesterday too! It was on a dynopak about 100 miles away, so it's not exactly the same, ...

I got pro-tuned yesterday too! It was on a dynopak about 100 miles away, so it's not exactly the same, but I'll put my graph up here too, once I get it all set up, so you can see the similarities in shape between the perrin and the invidia headers - obviously exact numbers won't matter much being on different dynos, but the shapes look pretty close, even with the 2 (sort of) peaks for the torque curve. This makes sense considering the cars are basically the same with power mods.

I'm really glad EFI worked out for you, too! I contacted them once and they never returned my call - but I've only ever heard good things about them.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, it would be interesting to compare the results! I'll keep an eye out for your graph.

Also, EFI is very busy and not the best at returning calls. Sometimes it takes a day or two. I usually just keep calling until somebody (usually Pete) picks up ...

Looks like the weather is going to be beautiful tomorrow - not too hot like last year - for the Wicked Big meet!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola
    So what were the results??? This is where the EL header really shinned. The day after installing the headers, I drove down to EFI logics to get the WRX tuned to 91 Octane and have a 30K service done. Since I had the new headers on and a tank full of pure 91 octane gas (on a 93 octane tune) - I drove the entire way (2 hrs) making sure that I did not go into boost. I reached 28 MPG!! ... eco cars eat your heart out. When I got to EFI Logic and they were setting my car up on the dyno, I had a pretty in depth discussion with their new tuner "Mikey." During that conversation, he mentioned that typically changing to 91 octane from 93 octane one would loose approx. 20 HP and 30 TQ - my heart sunk. Then he mentioned with the EL header install - I should gain approx. 10 hp and 15ish TQ back. We'll just say that I was not ecstatic hearing those potential results. So the dyno started and I was out side enjoying the 70 degree day and being surrounded by tuned WRXs and STIs ... trying not to think about the loss of performance that was coming.

After pulling about 4 runs, Mikey came out and got me. He asked if I was sure that the tank was full of 91 Octane. I looked at him kinda of strange and he said that with every run the car was making more and more HP & TQ, more than he normally sees on 91 octane and surpassing my 93 tune done in November (the results where in their computer). I explained to him that I ran the tank down to approx 1/2 gallon, added 2-3 gallons of 91, ran it down again and then filled it up with 91 octane that morning. Then I got scared that maybe perhaps I put 93 in that morning out of habit (but remember distinctly pressing the "91" button). Luckily, I had the sale receipt in my pocket and confirmed 91 octane. He smiled and went back and did two more pulls. After he took the car off the dyno, he came up to me and said "ok, lets go for a road test." This also surprised me, no one had every done this before after a dyno tune. So we went for a ride with his lap top still connected to my ECU. I did a couple short pulls and he confirmed his hard work was consistent in the "real word" dyno. To me this just showed Mikey's dedication to his work. Just to ensure every thing is copacetic, he told me that once I fill up with 91 octane again to log a pull with my AccessPORT and email him the results.
    Your results are not surprising to me. I wouldn't have quite expected as much of a gain with the headers when dropping octane, but properly-sized ELH are a great modification on the EJ motor. For reference, here is a similar comparison with an STI that added ELH/UP to a S2 setup:

As for the road test after the dyno tune, that should be SOP for any dyno tune, in my opinion. Mikey, as far as I know, has always subscribed to this theory as well. While it's nice to get a nice dyno graph, a dyno cannot simulate real world conditions.

Glad you're happy.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

As promised, here is an overlay of the Perrin ELH set up, with approximately the same mods minus a CBE on my car.

Obviously they are on different dynos, so the numbers aren't directly comparable, but I think the graphs might be a little bit comparable. I set the RPMs at the same scale, and then tried to set the torque curves at the same max points, so we can kind of compare graph for graph. They are definitely very similar curves, but it seems that Wusolla's car holds the HP out a bit longer than mine, while mine builds it a little earlier? - this can be from the CBE, or from the (perhaps) better headers, or even the tune?

I just thought you guys might be interested.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12