Camshaft/ engine blown NEED ADVICE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Camshaft/ engine blown NEED ADVICE within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yesterday i was driving and my check engine light came on and and i heard a scraping sound when i ...

Camshaft/ engine blown NEED ADVICE

Yesterday i was driving and my check engine light came on and and i heard a scraping sound when i put down the accelerator and i lost a significant amount of power, my cobb accessport was showing camshaft sensor errors and a bunch of camshaft related errors. And my A/F was all over the place. we lost power completely after a minute or two and pulled over. My engine and air intake was smoking and i had no oil which was fine when i checked last week.

Im guessing i will need need new cam shafts if not a whole new short block or even a new engine. So i was wondering
    1. If anyone knows what is going on (the shop is checking it out tomorrow)
    2. If i need new cams should i get after market ones even if i am running stock turbo? I might upgrade in the future once i get the money.
    3. If i need a new engine what would you guys recommend doing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1. Nobody knows yet.
    2. No.
    3. That depends on which car you own. The older the car, the more likely I'd be to find a used engine, swap them, and that's that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    1. Nobody knows yet.
    2. No.
    3. That depends on which car you own. The older the car, the more likely I'd be to find a used engine, swap them, and that's that.

^this

its an '08 WRX with 119k miles, Perrin DP, K&N Air intake and cobb stage 1 tune, so not much yet which is why cams wouldnt help but i dont want to pay for stock ones now then upgrade in a year or two

Quote Originally Posted by willyb524 View Post
    its an '08 WRX with 119k miles, Perrin DP, K&N Air intake and cobb stage 1 tune, so not much yet which is why cams wouldnt help but i dont want to pay for stock ones now then upgrade in a year or two

Sounds like your blown engine was a result of not being tuned for your mods. Cobb's stage one OTS map is for 100% stock cars only.. you have to use a stage two map if you have an aftermarket downpipe.. and Cobb does not make a map for your intake (although the AEM intake map might work).

Cams need to be matched to your turbo.. unless you're running something 30r or larger, I would not bother with aftermarket cams.

Someone also said that it could be the intake cam gear since it is made out of plastic, but there is no way to know until they look at it. but i figured stage one would be better since i dont have the full turbo back yet, i will be getting a cat back in the next few weeks though, also when this happened i was also on the interstate running the economy mode map.

Someone also said that it could be the intake cam gear since it is made out of plastic, but there is no way to know until they look at it. but i figured stage one would be better since i dont have the full turbo back yet, i will be getting a cat back in the next few weeks though, also when this happened i was also on the interstate running the economy mode map.

That will do it every time. You cannot run a stage one map with an aftermarket downpipe and expect the engine not to blow.. and on top of that the economy mode map is junk. It was just a matter of time.

Cam gears don't just fail, but running the wrong map for your car will definitely ruin the engine.

well my engine is gone, the timing belt skipped a tooth and everything train wrecked from there. the shop said 7k for a motor and install. for a 35k mile WRX motor from a scrap yard. anyone have any suggestions? im a college student so i dont have 7k, im in the army so i have a tad more money then other students but i still cant drop 7k on repairs, i need my car and i have no idea what to do.

I Support ClubWRX
    well my engine is gone, the timing belt skipped a tooth and everything train wrecked from there. the shop said 7k for a motor and install. for a 35k mile WRX motor from a scrap yard. anyone have any suggestions? im a college student so i dont have 7k, im in the army so i have a tad more money then other students but i still cant drop 7k on repairs, i need my car and i have no idea what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The older the car, the more likely I'd be to find a used engine, swap them, and that's that.
    DIY a used engine, stock, and leave it all stock.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Or scrap the car for a part out and use profit from that to get a beater.

Take out a loan for $7k...use $7k worth of credit cards? I dunno...its either find the money to do a swap, discuss payment options or where to source another engine for cheaper, or find another car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

well i want to stick with the car, ive put a lot of time into it and i dont want to see it get parted out, anyone know of good places to look for used engines?

I Support ClubWRX
    well i want to stick with the car, ive put a lot of time into it and i dont want to see it get parted out, anyone know of good places to look for used engines?
    It is a tough situation man. Look around on NASOIC and whatnot to see if anyone is selling an engine. There is no cheap way around this. When/if you get it fixed, make sure and do a ton of research (or ask a ton of questions on sites like this) before you slap parts onto it. Sucks this is your only vehicle. Good luck.

Nasioc classifieds...ebay...Google...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

1. you need a map from perrin for the perrin intake
    2. you need a STAGE 2 map for an aftermarket downpipe.
    3. you need a STAGE 2 + perrin intake map for your car
    4. if you need a new engine and you dont want to scrap the car. then get a new engine.......
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Also, was the timing belt service completed?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast