Camshaft/ engine blown NEED ADVICE - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Camshaft/ engine blown NEED ADVICE within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Calvinball Also, was the timing belt service completed? Yea.. those bearings in the pulleys will always get ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Also, was the timing belt service completed?
    Yea.. those bearings in the pulleys will always get you if they were not changed with the belt.

Not to mention the tensioner is good to replace too
    Last edited by Valkator; 05-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Car: 2013 DGM WRX 5 Door

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

supposedly the timing belts were replaced before i got it. so im going to call the dealer and try to blame it on them for not replacing them right, but i was also considering buying the engine parts individually and putting them together myself which might be more cost effective

Quote Originally Posted by willyb524 View Post
    supposedly the timing belts were replaced before i got it. so im going to call the dealer and try to blame it on them for not replacing them right, but i was also considering buying the engine parts individually and putting them together myself which might be more cost effective
    So you're experienced with pulling a motor out, splitting the heads off, replacing valves, springs, and retainers? As well as inspecting/replacing cams? And pulling the block apart to make sure that no damage was done to pistons/cylinders/rings/etc?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So you're experienced with pulling a motor out, splitting the heads off, replacing valves, springs, and retainers? As well as inspecting/replacing cams? And pulling the block apart to make sure that no damage was done to pistons/cylinders/rings/etc?
    And trying to slide those wrist pins thru those holes in the block... ehhh. Get better at it over time though.
    Last edited by Valkator; 05-21-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Car: 2013 DGM WRX 5 Door

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The shop is trying to gouge you.. you can get a "new" used motor for $1000-$1500, and the install labor shouldn't cost more than $800.. more like $500. All together you should be out the door for less than $3500.

yeah im not experienced with it at all, i would get help from some friends with a good amount of experience though, the shop called a scrap yard and apparently they said 5.2k plus they would want to replace the water pump and stuff. i was looking at websites like topspeed that modify engines and sell them, it looks like that would even be cheaper then the scrap yard. i figure this is a good opportunity to get a bit more power out of the engine while im at it.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    i figure this is a good opportunity to get a bit more power out of the engine while im at it.

A built engine is not going to make any more power than a stock one.. if anything it will make less.

yeah im not experienced with it at all, i would get help from some friends with a good amount of experience though, the shop called a scrap yard and apparently they said 5.2k plus they would want to replace the water pump and stuff. i was looking at websites like topspeed that modify engines and sell them, it looks like that would even be cheaper then the scrap yard. i figure this is a good opportunity to get a bit more power out of the engine while im at it.
    Yeah that scrap yard is highballing the **** out of you. That's a retarded price.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12