External Wastegate Help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on External Wastegate Help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; seriously guys? I bought a full turbo back exhaust system that's on my car, and my tuner said he could ...

seriously guys? I bought a full turbo back exhaust system that's on my car, and my tuner said he could weld a custom pipe onto my piping for my ewg I bought all I asked for was help with where I can just get a pipe to bolt for the low that will bolt on to my exhaust to install it, im not tryna pay a couple hundred for a weld job I would rather buy a pipe. I am a newb to turbos, and subarus.
    Last edited by zax; 05-11-2013 at 05:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gokartmar27 View Post
    seriously guys? I bought a full turbo back exhaust system that's on my car, and my tuner said he could weld a custom pipe onto my piping for my ewg I bought all I asked for was help with where I can just get a pipe to bolt for the low that will bolt on to my exhaust to install it.
    An EWG has little to do with the downpipe or turbo-back exhaust! Unless you are planning to dump the wastegate back into the downpipe, the Uppipe is the piece of the exhaust with which you will be most concerned. Pay special attention to Header designs as well, as many ELH are not compatible with V-band EWG setups.

I am a newb to turbos, and subarus. sry for being used to American muscle.
    That's OK, there is plenty of information on this board

Comment removed
    It is in your best interest to keep these comments to yourself, as this sort of negativity reflects poorly upon yourself and specifically violates our forum policies. Consider this a warning.

Edit: on second thought, I'm removing the quoted comment as it lends nothing to this thread (OP, you know to what comment I'm referring).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

thank you

As Zach stated, EWG has little to do with your turbo back exhaust. I would recommend buying an EWG uppipe rather than trying to make your own.

We will need to know what headers you are using, what EWG you have, and what downpipe you have (some downpipes, TurboXS for example, make EWG fitment difficult).

The grimmspeed ewg uppipe fits fine with my Turboxs downpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    As Zach stated, EWG has little to do with your turbo back exhaust. I would recommend buying an EWG uppipe rather than trying to make your own.

We will need to know what headers you are using, what EWG you have, and what downpipe you have (some downpipes, TurboXS for example, make EWG fitment difficult).
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    The grimmspeed ewg uppipe fits fine with my Turboxs downpipe.

Also depends on the EWG you're using. I have seen several reports of the GrimmSpeed pipe location NOT fitting with the TurboXS downpipe, as well as the TurboXS EWG pipe not fitting either. I'm pretty sure the lower profile of the v-band attachment of the newer Tial MV-S and MV-R EWGs aids in tight spots. The only two uppipes I have seen with guaranteed fitments with TurboXS downpipe are GTSpec (which I don't know if you can even get anymore), and P&L.

My P&L 44mm EWG uppipe fit fine with my TurboXS downpipe. ::cough::and it is also for sale!::cough::

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I'm pretty sure the lower profile of the v-band attachment of the newer Tial MV-S and MV-R EWGs aids in tight spots. The only two uppipes I have seen with guaranteed fitments with TurboXS downpipe are GTSpec (which I don't know if you can even get anymore), and P&L.
    Just as a note, the grimspeed kit I got I had to modifiy to fit with the new Tial v-band. Apparently the kit was designed around the turboSmart v-band flange, which at the dump side, is slightly smaller. To resolve this and use it with my Tial, I had to carefully sand down the flange on the dump tube.

OP, you really should do some reading on the subject to understand a bit more when leaping to an EWG. It's not really a 'plug and play' mod in my opinion. Your tuner can get going for you and everything... But I feel it's useful to understand a bit of what is going on under the hood at that point. Understanding the basics of your boost system can help you diagnose or at least identify any issues while driving, before they blow your engine up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.