power loss with stock exhaust?..

This is a discussion on power loss with stock exhaust?.. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Heya everybody. Just need some opinions concerning going stage 2. i have an appointment at precision tuning (in NJ) this ...

power loss with stock exhaust?..

Heya everybody.

Just need some opinions concerning going stage 2. i have an appointment at precision tuning (in NJ) this weekend..im gonna be doing an uppipe, downpipe and dyno tune on my 2005 wrx wagon. I want to keep the stock exhaust because im not a huge fan of attracting any more attention (especially from the 5-0) and i like the idea of being a sleeper car of sorts(i guess the hood scoop hurts me in this area though..) Will there be a legitimate power loss with the restrictive stock exhaust?

Also, just cause im so damn excited-should i be expecting a huge power difference over all? I know there are a million threads about this but i figure I could get a better answer about my specific year..i know power gains are different car to car.

Thanks alot!

---on a side note the guys at Precision tuning are some of the nicest people i've ever had to deal with in the car business and otherwise. Give them all of your business Jersey folks..----

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    In my opinion yes,the stock catback will hinder performance. Power wise 02-05 WRX's behave the same.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    In my opinion yes,the stock catback will hinder performance. Power wise 02-05 WRX's behave the same.
    Significantly though? I dont mind sacrificing a few horsepower. Im assuming a dyno tune with stock exhaust would still be better than a full after market exhaust with just a cobb map, no?

i was trying to research this as well and like most topics there are quite a few ppl on each side of the argument. The conclusion seems to be that there probably are gains that are pretty minor.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshy View Post
    Significantly though? I dont mind sacrificing a few horsepower. Im assuming a dyno tune with stock exhaust would still be better than a full after market exhaust with just a cobb map, no?
    Most people constantly confuse peak power numbers with the actual power curve as a way to gauge performance. It may be a couple horsepower at 5500 rpm but when you are missing 20 ft/lbs at 3000rpm I can tell you that means more. The more free flowing the exhaust is,the faster the turbo can spool up. The stock exhaust is a 2.25". Most aftermarket are 3".
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Hopefully Mainframe chimes in. I believe he has run the stock catback with an aftermarket DP.

I would guess that just removing the 3 cats that are in the car provide much of the spool and power increase seen at stage 2. Most people would say that a cat back exauhst is just a noise maker and doesn't make any power anyway. At stage 2 levels the gains/losses are likely minimal, i.e. less than 5whp/wtq

Hmm..then getting a cobb DP that isnt catless will decrease the power gained as well?

Mainframe runs a stock axleback...midpipe is aftermarket I believe. That will still make a huge difference believe it or not. But Donkey is someone you should listen to.

OP, you will see a great improvement over stock with a protune (and yes, Precision rocks...they do great work! I'm a big advocate of them)...but you just may be leaving some more power on the table with the stock CBE.

Regardless though, you will see a nice improvement in power and driveability.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Hey..just wanted to updte here for ya. Stage two tune is f'in great. Awesome turbo sound, smoother all around throttle response and the car is a good deal faster. The tuner said that the stock exhaust is definitely holding my car back a bit. By the end of it im making 207whp and 205tq. He said i could easily get to 230-240 with a catback,new boost control and injectors. Im really happy though. Its like a new car.