need help with my 03 wrx

This is a discussion on need help with my 03 wrx within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just dropped in a brand new crate motor. i replaced a bunch of parts and my car still doesnt ...

need help with my 03 wrx

i just dropped in a brand new crate motor. i replaced a bunch of parts and my car still doesnt want to build boost, sputters, cel flashes, code p1086 came up, new plugs, no tune. do you think my problem is it just needs a tune or could it be something else. i'm kinda new to the subaru world and ive tried so much and i cant figure out my problem. .. . please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your post is vague at best. Try being more detailed. Help us help you.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

sorry. so when I start it up it has abit of a rough idle and the engine shakes. when I start out driving it sputters and acts like it wants to die. sometimes when I go to stops it dies. there are misfire codes on 1, 3, and 4 I believe. im pretty sure I hooked up the vacuum lines right, I cant find a diagram to see. the guy I bought the car from brought it to Arizona to have it tuned. then he brought it back and decided to do a street tune and locked the ecu, I think this is why it never really ran right. ive tried different turbos, boost controllers, and different vacuum routes. when we dropped in the new motor we had to take off the tgv sensors and I think we put it on right but no one says how to do it so who knows if its done right. also when it runs you can really smell the fuel. very rich. im talking to map performance to see when I can get a tune done

I Support ClubWRX
    From what you've said -- and we don't even know the displacement of the new motor, let alone other details -- you have a mapping problem first and foremost. Trying different turbos and controllers won't help unless you happen to find the combination of parts for which the car is mapped, and that may not be all that likely.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What is the brand new crate motor? Guessing its the stock 03 ECU?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the car stock? Is the engine a direct replacement for the stock engine? If the answer to both of those is yes then you must run either a stock or stage one tune. Do you know what tune is on the ECU?

its a stock ej20 from power torque and im pretty sure its a stock ecu and I don't know what tune is on it. so would a new ecu help and should I just get it tuned and see if that fixes the problem. also would a new tgv help? thanks for the help this far

I Support ClubWRX
    List your mods. A new ECU is not going to help.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

turbo back exhaust, sti pink injectors, cai, bigger intercooler(I think 4 core), and I had a 20g turbo but replaced it with the stock one bc I didn't like the turbo lag. I think that's it. if I think of more ill post it. ive been considering a tgv delete. would that be worth it

stage 2 clutch and hks BOV

Quote Originally Posted by kdmullenbach View Post
    turbo back exhaust, sti pink injectors, cai, bigger intercooler(I think 4 core), and I had a 20g turbo but replaced it with the stock one bc I didn't like the turbo lag. I think that's it. if I think of more ill post it. ive been considering a tgv delete. would that be worth it
    I think figuring out what's wrong with your car is more worth it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Get rid of the HKS BOV...they are garbage. Replace with stock. Check for boost leaks, get a tune that's meant for the car since you don't know whats on it. Start there.