Cobb SF Intake

This is a discussion on Cobb SF Intake within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a couple quick questions about my options regarding this intake. Originally I had the intake with the box, ...

Cobb SF Intake

I have a couple quick questions about my options regarding this intake.
    Originally I had the intake with the box, but when I upgraded to a FMIC, I was unable to keep the box.
    My question is, would I be able to cut the intake right before the MAF housing, hopefully avoiding any potential complications with air flow around the sensor, and attach a pipe w/ silicon couplers to convert it to a true in fender cold air intake. I have several ideas on how to accomplish this and it doesn't seem like it would be to terribly hard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I wouldn't...unless you know how to properly scale an MAF and to tune for it...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I wouldn't...unless you know how to properly scale an MAF and to tune for it...
    That was the main question that I had. I thought as long as I didn't change the diameter of the housing that it wouldn't make a difference. The sensor wouldn't be moved from the position that it is at now, I would just relocate the filter into the fender.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed7742
    That was the main question that I had. I thought as long as I didn't change the diameter of the housing that it wouldn't make a difference. The sensor wouldn't be moved from the position that it is at now, I would just relocate the filter into the fender.
    What year? On the newer cars, the Cobb SRI requires quite a bit of MAF scaling to run.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What year? On the newer cars, the Cobb SRI requires quite a bit of MAF scaling to run.
    Its a 12. It has been tuned for the intake. I just figured that as long as the housing wasn't modified diameter wise, the scaling would be the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SF_Intake_02-07__64174.1313092238.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	113819

The red line is where I was thinking about adding the extra piping too.
    Last edited by Reed7742; 05-06-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    2012 SWP WRX Sedan: Cobb SF Intake, GS 3port EBCS, Turbo XS FMIC, Harmon Motors Catless DP, Grimspeed turbo sheild, Nameless Quad-tip Muffler Delete, Turbosmart Kompact Plumback BPV, SMY Cluster with AEM Wideband and Prosport Boost Gauge, STI Short throw, TWM M1 Abrams weighted shift knob in Gun Metal finish.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed7742
    Its a 12. It has been tuned for the intake. I just figured that as long as the housing wasn't modified diameter wise, the scaling would be the same.

[pic snip]

The red line is where I was thinking about adding the extra piping too.
    You'd need to do some logging to make sure, and possibly rework the scaling a bit. It's more than just the diameter of the piping.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Diameter, length, and bends can all impact the velocity and turbulence at which air hits the MAF.

Personally I would err on the side of caution and get re-tuned if I were to do this.