Grind/ rattle above 5K rpm. Ideas???

This is a discussion on Grind/ rattle above 5K rpm. Ideas??? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; when i step on it, as soon as i get above 5K, i get a grinding rattle noise coming from ...

Grind/ rattle above 5K rpm. Ideas???

when i step on it, as soon as i get above 5K, i get a grinding rattle noise coming from (what i think to be) the turbo. this same thing happened on my gti and it was wastegate rattle (harmless) so thats what i'm thinking it is... any ideas? i wanna get the car tuned soon but dont want any problems going in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    rattling/grinding? Sure it isn't detonating?

What modifications have been done? Is the tune on the car applicable for those modifications? Any way of data logging? What year/model is the car?

...Gotta know a bit more about the car. I would NOT describe that as normal in the slightest bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

car is stock other than a Q300 cat back. no not detonating. just a loud buzzing that i would describe at a rattle coming from what seems like the turbo while WOT above 5000k. 2200 miles on my 2013 wrx sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Beans114 View Post
    2200 miles on my 2013 wrx sedan
    Dealership.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    No ideas on my end. Could be a lot of stuff... Funny sounds happen when you are above 5k.

If there isn't anything done to it other than a catback, I wouldn't be too concerned. Without a means of data logging such as a tactrix cable or Cobb AP, I can't really say the sound is/isn't due to a mechanical issue, however.

Your wastegate should never "rattle", however. It's a pretty "business-oriented" device that won't just flap around given that it is always under some form of pressure. The only sound you should hear from it is the air venting through it, which is pretty distinct even without an intake or downpipe, if I recall correctly.

I really don't remember hearing a grinding/rattling sound ever above 5k. Your grind/rattle description may be completely different than what I interpret as a grind/rattle though. You may want to ask the dealership if you can ride with a tech and ask if it is normal. Maybe find a local WRX owner and ask them to ride along and see if they recognize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Dealership.
    Warranty. Use it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying