3 port boost solenoid prior to stage 2??

This is a discussion on 3 port boost solenoid prior to stage 2?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm going stage 2 with a catless dp very soon and i'm wondering just how worth it it would be ...

3 port boost solenoid prior to stage 2??

I'm going stage 2 with a catless dp very soon and i'm wondering just how worth it it would be to get cobb's 3 port boost solenoid controller installed prior to tuning. Pros and cons?? worth the 140 after install??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    this is a question that you would actually want to ask your tuner. i would listen to whatever suggestion they give.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

i have stage 2 mods (intake, turboback) and soon will be switching from an accessport tune to an opensource and i will be running a 3 port with a Hallman MBC as well.

i did not want to spend the $ on a 100$+ ebcs since there was a cheaper way that cost me >40$ shipped from amazon and just have to solder two wires

Full DIY: GM solenoid install (56k warning) - NASIOC

but ask your tuner what he suggests
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beans114 View Post
    I'm going stage 2 with a catless dp very soon and i'm wondering just how worth it it would be to get cobb's 3 port boost solenoid controller installed prior to tuning. Pros and cons?? worth the 140 after install??
    You will have to tune the car after installing the EBCS - if you don't you can cause severe damage. So if you're planning on going stage two soon ... I would wait and just get your car tuned once since it can be pretty costly.

I installed a Grimmspeed EBCS on my car when I went stage 3.

Pros - quicker spool, better boost control, no overboosting (which I would get when my car was stage 2 with out EBCS), looks cool in the engine bay (jk)
    Cons - waste-gate flutter
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola
    Pros - quicker spool, better boost control, no overboosting (which I would get when my car was stage 2 with out EBCS), looks cool in the engine bay (jk)
    Did you have a base map like Cobb or did you have a custom tune when you were overboosting @ S2? Sounds like the first, and the boost tables needed to be fine-tuned a bit.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Did you have a base map like Cobb or did you have a custom tune when you were overboosting @ S2? Sounds like the first, and the boost tables needed to be fine-tuned a bit.
    Yes I had the OTC Cobb stage 2 + SF 93 octane map. It overboosted twice on me when driving on the highway. I agree the majority of the problem was the "one size fit's all" OTC map. At that time I knew it was time for a pro-tune. I had also been contemplating going stage 3 .... so I just went all in (PW TMIC, Fuel pump, etc) and then had it pro-tuned. Very happy I did. The car drives like a dream and zero mechanical issues
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

OP, talk to your tuner about this. Some prefer to tune with a 3port, some with an MBC, and others like hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatt View Post
    OP, talk to your tuner about this. Some prefer to tune with a 3port, some with an MBC, and others like hybrid.
    .... just to chime in here. I've also heard that if you go hybrid it will help with the waste gate flutter you end up having with the EBCS ....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola
    .... just to chime in here. I've also heard that if you go hybrid it will help with the waste gate flutter you end up having with the EBCS ....
    You don't get flutter with a MBC like you do with an interrupt-style EBCS
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC