Looking into ELH and a Pro-Tune.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking into ELH and a Pro-Tune. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; With graduation coming up, and it being a few months since last mod, it's time to start looking into my ...

Looking into ELH and a Pro-Tune.

With graduation coming up, and it being a few months since last mod, it's time to start looking into my next move. For those who don't know, I'm currently in a 2011 STi sedan, with a stage 2+ COBB AP OTS tune, and nameless muffler delete. I'm pretty satisfied with the cars handling, and would like to get a Pro-tune before I do sways and endlinks. That being said, before I just get a Pro-tune, I want to make it 'worth-while' (if you will). I'm going to go with a mod that will require a tune. The next thing I want are headers.

First decision: UEL or EL headers?
    I like the 'Subaru' sound, but I love the way the EL headers sound. I'm not very familiar with performance differences between the two types, but I'm pretty sure I've heard EL will be better performance wise, so if I like the way it sounds more, and the performance is slightly better, decision made. EL headers will be the type I go with.

Companies?
    So far the only 2 I have seen are Invidia and Tomei. I have an Invidia High-Flow catted DP, and I was more then pleased with it. It came looking great, I showed all my friends before I installed it and they said they wished their exhausts came looking like that! I wouldn't mind going with Invidia again, however, me being the type of person I am, I like to be slightly different, I think going with Tomei mite give me a little better chance of not having the same exhaust set up as many people. I could be wrong and that could sound completely un-intelligent, but that's my theory. Also, I like to try different brands and learn for myself if I would go with them again or not; obviously I would not try a brand thats not suggested by many, but if I can't find any input I'll give it a shot. Any suggestions hear would be great, thank you!!

Install?
    I'm pretty sure I could do this install myself, however, I'm not to confident on heat wrapping, I've never done it before. Now that I think about it I could just wait til a Wednesday and swing by the Subaru meet and I'm sure some guys would be more then happy to help. But the more I think about the idea of installing this exhaust, and then driving with it about 2 hours to the shop on the ECU not tuned to it, just sounds worse and worse. Am I being dumb, and the car will be fine?

Last, Tuners???
    I know I've asked before, but I'm going to ask again just so I have all this information in one, slightly organized place. I live in Montvale, in Bergen County New Jersey, for those who know that area. I'd like to find a shop decently nearby, however if driving on this exhaust un-tuned for a bit doesn't matter I'm willing to drive 3-4 hours. I've heard EFI Logics is excellent, but Precision Tuning only has subaru on their website which pulls me in. Any thoughts here, and anybody have any personal experiences?

Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't install UEL headers on my car; if you're going the route of headers, go EL. If you don't want go go the ELH route, look into P&P manifold elbows.

I'd go Invidia, if I had the choice between the two you listed.

You have a Cobb AP. You live in NJ. You should be only looking at Akuma Motorsports; John was the former tuner at Precision, left to work at Cobb, left to open his own shop.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I wouldn't install UEL headers on my car; if you're going the route of headers, go EL. If you don't want go go the ELH route, look into P&P manifold elbows.

You have a Cobb AP. You live in NJ. You should be only looking at Akuma Motorsports; John was the former tuner at Precision, left to work at Cobb, left to open his own shop.
    Why not EL? Everywhere I look says that EL gives you a noticeable difference in power compared to the UEL like the stock ones......

OP look at getting a e-tune from Torqued Performance. It's a big difference compared to even your ots cobb map and they will adjust it for your new headers as well. Pretty cheap too compared to a protune. And I would look at a new BPV as well. You prolly got a little bit of boost leak from your plastic stock one and don't even know it. And it you don't you probly with another bump in power.... My 2cents
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    Why not EL? Everywhere I look says that EL gives you a noticeable difference in power compared to the UEL like the stock ones......

OP look at getting a e-tune from Torqued Performance. It's a big difference compared to even your ots cobb map and they will adjust it for your new headers as well. Pretty cheap too compared to a protune. And I would look at a new BPV as well. You prolly got a little bit of boost leak from your plastic stock one and don't even know it. And it you don't you probly with another bump in power.... My 2cents

I think you misread his post.

There are several e-tuners I would pick before Torqued Performance, but that's just me.

Dang your right lol disregard.
    Why not TP? I like my map from him, who would you recommend instead and why?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If e-tuning were the only option my first recommendation would be Phatron. He has been doing it for a long time and I have never seen a bad map from him.

I decided on EL Headers, in the beginning of the post I explain I like the sound better, and they preform better so its a no brainer.

I will look into Akuma and shoot them an E-mail. I E-mailed Precision about a month ago, just telling them the whole situation, what kind of car I have, whats done, what im looking for out of it, etc. but got no response.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    There are several e-tuners I would pick before Torqued Performance, but that's just me.
    Correct me here if I'm wrong, but isn't a Pro-tune going to be more refined and specific compared to an E-tune?

From what I've seen it's not that big of a difference. They both look at the maps from your data log and base it on your current mods. But I'm a newb so maybe there's something idk

Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    From what I've seen it's not that big of a difference. They both look at the maps from your data log and base it on your current mods. But I'm a newb so maybe there's something idk
    hmm, I think the fact that it's on my shoulders if sh!t hits the fan while loading it to the ECU and that I have no computer besides my high-school laptop which is so blocked this is the only forum that works. I think thats reason enough to go take a ride and get dyno tuned

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987
    An e-tune is only as good as the data you give them. Most people don't have a WBO2, so it's not going to be a complete tune.

And I would look at a new BPV as well. You prolly got a little bit of boost leak from your plastic stock one and don't even know it. And it you don't you probly with another bump in power.... My 2cents
    STIs don't have a plastic valve

UNYSOC

I know it doesn't help your choosing but I know a couple that have gotten a protune, meaning the certified tuner was right there in the car, and their motor got all effed up. One of them the pistons melted and the tuner said its because his intake manifold was powder coated.
    Idk anybody who's had a bad map from TP though

I Support ClubWRX
    Idk anybody who's had a bad map from TP though
    Would you know what a bad map looks like if you saw it?

UNYSOC

STIs don't have a plastic valve[/QUOTE]

Roger that. I missed that he had a STI.

Would you know what a bad map looks like if you saw it?
    What I meant was that I know more than a couple people that got tunes from TP here and none of them got a blown motor or melted pistons 3 days later like the one I mentioned. Not trying to argue with everything your saying, I'm here to learn too, this is just my opinion to help out the OP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.