Perrin thermal DP blanket - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Perrin thermal DP blanket within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX Alright so no wrapping the cat. But how would I deal with the issue where the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX View Post
    Alright so no wrapping the cat. But how would I deal with the issue where the cat is melting the nearby rubber boot?
    That is strange...Typically under the car is a heat shield that is between the exhaust and the underbody components (I actually had to bend mine slightly so my new exhaust wasn't touching it) that will protect this type of thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What downpipe do you have?
    Invidia Divorced Wastegate Catted Downpipe (w/2 O2 bungs). Goes on 2012 WRX sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    That is strange...Typically under the car is a heat shield that is between the exhaust and the underbody components (I actually had to bend mine slightly so my new exhaust wasn't touching it) that will protect this type of thing.
    Same issue as this: Invidia Catted DP cooking axle boot? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX
    Invidia Divorced Wastegate Catted Downpipe (w/2 O2 bungs). Goes on 2012 WRX sedan.
    You would wrap the cat.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wrapping the cat then.

Installed mine a while ago. Still have it in mockup mode. So far it has impressed me. It is somewhat water repellent so it should not get water soaked if it rains and you are driving. Here is something I posted a while back. The carted invidia down pipe issue is visible on the last pic.

Got the downpipe blanket on but I had some issues. Since I have an Invidia catted downpipe the blanket is a little too small. I went ahead and did a mock up install without pulling the downpipe just for fun. I have basically eliminated heat soak with my set up.

Turbo blanket (not shown), OEM heat shield (not shown) and downpipe blanket over the OEM heat shield.

A little worried here about the boot ripping and slinging grease all over the blanket. Here you can see the cat is not going to be completely wrapped up. There is no way this can be installed properly with out pulling the downpipe IMHO.

Saving my money for the uppipe blanket next.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

oguitar. On the last pix it looks like the cat is still exposed to the axle boot? I see that the blanket has covered a majority of the DP but how is the blanket holding up near the cat; there doesn't seem to be anything preventing it from flapping around or coming loose?
    When life passes you by, DownShift! - DSC

When I did my Cobb DP installed I did all three shields at the same time, PTP turbo and DP blanket (same as Perrin's by the way) and Perrin heat heat shield. I have the DP blanket coming up to the bottom of the turbo but not over it. The turbo blanket and the heat shield takes care of the turbo.

Like it was already said here, you don't need to go too far down the DP for shielding. My DP blanket stops short of the Cobb cat in the DP and the factory heat shielding protects on the bottom of the car from the cat back to the mid-pipe connection. I think the DP blanket will work out better for me then wrapping the DP. The wrap will absorb moisture and trap it leading to DP pre-mature wearing; unless you do a lot of other protection to keep the moisture at bay. The beauty of the blanket is it does allow some air flow over the DP preventing the moisture build up that wrapping can cause. May not have the same insulation factory as the wrap, but will have a longer life on the DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
    When I did my Cobb DP installed I did all three shields at the same time, PTP turbo and DP blanket (same as Perrin's by the way) and Perrin heat heat shield. I have the DP blanket coming up to the bottom of the turbo but not over it. The turbo blanket and the heat shield takes care of the turbo.

Like it was already said here, you don't need to go too far down the DP for shielding. My DP blanket stops short of the Cobb cat in the DP and the factory heat shielding protects on the bottom of the car from the cat back to the mid-pipe connection. I think the DP blanket will work out better for me then wrapping the DP. The wrap will absorb moisture and trap it leading to DP pre-mature wearing; unless you do a lot of other protection to keep the moisture at bay. The beauty of the blanket is it does allow some air flow over the DP preventing the moisture build up that wrapping can cause. May not have the same insulation factory as the wrap, but will have a longer life on the DP.
    Yeah, Invidia's catted design puts the cat by the bellmouth and thus near the axle boot with no shielding. Looks like I have to wrap the DP and cat to save the boot. I know this will shorten the life of the DP. Sucks.

My passenger side boot is stock. My driver side boot ripped a year or two ago. Don't worry so much about the boot ripping due to heat. Though I have seen one guy build a shield to separate the downpipe and the boot.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    My passenger side boot is stock. My driver side boot ripped a year or two ago. Don't worry so much about the boot ripping due to heat. Though I have seen one guy build a shield to separate the downpipe and the boot.
    I am very interested in this heat shield that shields the boot from the cat. Can you elaborate or direct me to where I can get more info? Thanks much!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX View Post
    I am very interested in this heat shield that shields the boot from the cat. Can you elaborate or direct me to where I can get more info? Thanks much!!
    I think you would have to fabricate (or have one fabricated for you). I could be wrong, but I have not seen a heatshield specifically for that. If you look at the stock downpipe you will notice that they have a heatshield directly attached, which covers the cat, which also happens to be in the area you are describing. My downpipe has the cat much further downstream, which is blocked by the stock exhaust heat sheild (which has caused other issues).

I think you would have to fabricate (or have one fabricated for you). I could be wrong, but I have not seen a heatshield specifically for that. If you look at the stock downpipe you will notice that they have a heatshield directly attached, which covers the cat, which also happens to be in the area you are describing. My downpipe has the cat much further downstream, which is blocked by the stock exhaust heat sheild (which has caused other issues).
    Alright, thanks. On to the drawing board then.

Do tell! What other issues does the cat being further downstream cause with your factory heatshields?

I Support ClubWRX
    My stock o2 sensor won't reach the bung behind the cat so I am splicing and soldering an extension piece to make it reach.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast