Perrin thermal DP blanket - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Perrin thermal DP blanket within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ohhh I thought you mean the car's warranty for some reason. Derp. Makes sense....

Ohhh I thought you mean the car's warranty for some reason. Derp. Makes sense.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So eventually my catted downpipe will become a "resonated DP"? Lol
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much every bolt on besides a bigger turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Changes the heat that is retained in the metal. And the wrap causes it to corrode faster. And to be clear I'm talking about the warranty on the dp itself.
    has anyone here experienced this? im just wondering over what period of time you would see corrosion with wrap being the main variable.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by clt-wrx View Post
    has anyone here experienced this? im just wondering over what period of time you would see corrosion with wrap being the main variable.
    Its the reason why the the metal turns black (you will notice this in any picture of piping that was shiny stainless steel and is now brownish black after heat wrap is removed).

So is it not recommended to heat wrap a stainless steel down pipe? Or are you guys talking about the oem down pipe?

I've got a Perrin DP blanket on order. I ordered it last Tuesday or Wednesday, hopefully it will be here soon.
    I'm still on my stock DP so longevity is not a terrible concern. From speaking with someone over at Perrin a while ago I was told damage to the DP from the blanket isn't a real concern. For some reason the person I spoke w/ said the UP is the weak spot as far as stock pipes are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'd just buy a roll of titanium heat wrap, instead.
    I have a question what purpose does heat wrapping your exhaust do? Wouldn't that just create higher temps for the exhaust? I was under the impression that heat wrapping would help cool the exhaust that's what I thought the purpose was however how in the hell would it cool it? The more I think into this matter wouldn't it raise your exhaust temps and egt? Other then the purpose of controlling temp through heat wrap what other purpose would this serve?

Its the reason why the the metal turns black (you will notice this in any picture of piping that was shiny stainless steel and is now brownish black after heat wrap is removed).
    Another question here.. my invidia dp was shinny where it connects to the waste gate now it is discolored like yellow, purple and a slight brown this would be due to high temps near the wastegate right causing the downpipe to discolor a bit? and no my dp is not heat wrapped.

I Support ClubWRX
    Using wrap reduces the radiant heat (lowers temps under the hood), and maintains hotter exhaust gases. Hotter gases exit the system faster.

There will always be discoloring over time. Heat wrap will just increase the discoloring (and is said to make the metal more brittle over time). Probably not quick enough to cause issues for a long time though. You probably would want to use some kind of seal spray or whatever if you wrap. Lots of people on here have wrap on various piping (up pipe, headers, downpipe).
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 04-29-2013 at 07:35 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage
    I have a question what purpose does heat wrapping your exhaust do? Wouldn't that just create higher temps for the exhaust? I was under the impression that heat wrapping would help cool the exhaust that's what I thought the purpose was however how in the hell would it cool it? The more I think into this matter wouldn't it raise your exhaust temps and egt? Other then the purpose of controlling temp through heat wrap what other purpose would this serve?
    Heat wrap is an insulation wrap. There are reflective tapes you can put on that would help keep heat out (ever see a TMIC with the metal endtanks shiny gold?).

The greatest benefit of wrapping pre-turbo exhaust is to maintain EGTs. Hotter air is faster air, and will aid in spool and response; a byproduct is that it reduces underhood temperatures. The greatest benefit of wrapping post-turbo exhaust is reduced heat in the engine bay; a byproduct is that it keeps the air hotter so it will move faster out the exhaust (it's not as important here as pre-turbo). Therefore, if someone is looking to wrap their downpipe, I would only bother wrapping until it bends towards the rear of the car by the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi
    You probably would want to use some kind of seal spray or whatever if you wrap.
    That depends on the wrap material. Fiberglass wrap you want to coat; the newer titanium wraps, you don't.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Should the cat be wrapped as well?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX View Post
    Should the cat be wrapped as well?
    No...that would be a waste...probably only the bend section of the downpipe that isin the engine bay (like mentioned above). Some people wrap the whole downpipe but the cat would be overkill.

Blanket came in today and its a pain in the ass to get on with the down pipe installed. The lower heat shield bracket has to come off which doesn't come off peacefully. You have to bend the bracket a little bit on the down pipe in order to get bracket to slip past and out of the car.
    Once the heat shield bracket is out the rest of the installation is pretty straight forward. My hands are small enough to fit between the tranny and the DP so I didn't have too much trouble with the wire wraps, so....
    The end product looks great!

No...that would be a waste...probably only the bend section of the downpipe that isin the engine bay (like mentioned above). Some people wrap the whole downpipe but the cat would be overkill.
    Alright so no wrapping the cat. But how would I deal with the issue where the cat is melting the nearby rubber boot?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft4WRX
    Alright so no wrapping the cat. But how would I deal with the issue where the cat is melting the nearby rubber boot?
    What downpipe do you have?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.