Turbo Timer not needed i'm told
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo Timer not needed i'm told within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So let me give you a small amount of of my background so that you can understand where I'm coming ...

Turbo Timer not needed i'm told

So let me give you a small amount of of my background so that you can understand where I'm coming from. I'm a nuclear mechanic, and belong to one of the best mechanical departments in a Commercial nuclear power plant in the united states (or at least this is what the NRC and INPO are saying). And this is because we have been and continue to be extensively trained on plant systems and how how each one interfaces with others.

This being said, Ive had multiple discussions on the phenomenon of "Natural Circulation". (as this is my basic understanding of the state of the reactor system during emergency shutdown, with loss of offsite power). This phenomenon states that if a fluid is moving at a certain rate with a heat source near the lowest portion of the vessel, and a heat sink near the top portion of the vessel then the once the main mover of said fluid is stopped, the fluid will continue to move, although at a lower rate.

This is most readily visualized if you have seen a "lava lamp" and have a basic understand of the setup and the way it works.

but I fail to see how this will work well enough in a water cooled turbo such as the one in the 201- to not need a turbo timer.

I have not yet read through the "shut down procedure" for the 201- WRX's but I assume it has you idle for a few moments prior to shutting down the car to allow some "cooler coolant" to flush through the system. which is of course a relative term because this "cooler coolant" will only have a delta T (differential temperature) of maybe 10 degrees?

Am I WAY off base with my understanding of the "controversy"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think the turbo simply does not get hot enough to have a problem there, since it's water-cooled to begin with... Unless you beat it and then it's always a good idea to let things cool a bit before shut-down, no matter what engine/system you're looking at.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by schleges View Post
    Am I WAY off base with my understanding of the "controversy"?
    I don't quite see a controversy. The shut down procedure involves turning off the motor and setting the hand brake. The turbo is fitted with a dedicated coolant line from a reservoir that allows circulation (passively, no pump, just ΔT and ΔP I'd think) after the motor is turned off. I've heard this working with the motor off by listening from a close distance.

I can't think of a modern car that uses a turbo not cooled by water. I don't think any of the other makers bother with a reservoir setup.

Unless you've really been on it hard, I'd just turn off the motor and go about life. If you've really driven hard, lower rpms and let things cool as you mellow out the last km or so, then maybe -- maybe -- wait a bit before shutting down. If you're in the paddock after a hot lap that's different -- open the bay up, do whatever you need to do, that's a different scenario. For normal use, use the car as normal.

I don't think I've seen all that many turbo failures, whether the turbos are from Mitsubishi or IHI. That's the proof of the pudding IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

seems like a reasonable response. I guess i may be looking into further then I need to, I just don't understand why there is a large enough market for umpteen manufacturers to build and sell turbo timers for modern cars then, and if you've looked at the number of threads that talk about Turbo Timers as a mod, you would see it's either a controversy or a conspiracy! lol

By the way, how long have been a part of this forum to have reached 20,257 posts!! That is Nearly unbelievable!!! Thanks for contributing to this website, and I'll keep in mind to look you up if I have any questions. you seem like you've seen enough posts to know any answer I may have

I Support ClubWRX
    SD is a smart man.

You may want to explore the links in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    you seem like you've seen enough posts to know any answer I may have
    Post count has nothing to do with intelligence level. Look at Ray, for instance...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

seems like a reasonable response. I guess i may be looking into further then I need to, I just don't understand why there is a large enough market for umpteen manufacturers to build and sell turbo timers for modern cars then
    The market, and any market really, is driven by dollars, not logic. There are many, many people out there who will buy such a product without researching into whether they need it. We see a lot on this forum, and that must surely represent a small sampling.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    seems like a reasonable response. I guess i may be looking into further then I need to, I just don't understand why there is a large enough market for umpteen manufacturers to build and sell turbo timers for modern cars then, and if you've looked at the number of threads that talk about Turbo Timers as a mod, you would see it's either a controversy or a conspiracy! lol
    Earlier, there were turbos on the market or fitted OEM that were not fed water, just oil. Those tended to coke up at times. This was a while ago though, and I actually think Subaru used water cooled turbos at least since the 90s (anyone?). Sometimes oil-only turbos were used as retrofits cars because they were larger etc., but that rarely happens now I think. I've had my (stock) car for over ten years and the turbo is still spinning along; it's not an expendable part and should last the life of the car (or engine).

By the way, how long have been a part of this forum to have reached 20,257 posts!!
    On the desktop browser version of the site, below each member's avatar, there is a join date. Mine is 08.2002 so almost 11 years. Time flies.

I'll keep in mind to look you up if I have any questions. you seem like you've seen enough posts to know any answer I may have
    Thanks but I really have no concept or clue usually, and other times I'm just making stuff up. However, TheJ has made a good list of info links, it's linked in my signature and his. Also, there are people that (unlike me) actually do know what they're doing on the site as well. You could also look at the sticky threads in each sub forum, there's lots of useful stuff around usually. Enjoy.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    SD is right you don't really need it, with the turbos being water cooled.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.