Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ej22

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Chas 
#1 ·
I have an ej22 in my 05wrx it was a brand new aftermarket block when I got it. I put about 15000 miles on it. Yesterday I was driving and I heard a knocking noise. Checked my oil and I was down about 2 1/2 quarts. I'm pretty sure I broke the main bearing and hopefully nothing else. I'm going to pull the motor and rebuild it. I found a rebuild kit for like 450. I don't want this to be a total loss though. So I was thinking about putting a cam in it. Idk it ill have to change the heads or the headders it has stock sti heads on it now. If anyone can give me any information or advice id greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
Probably spun a rod bearing, main bearings don't usually fail in our cars.

If you did spin the bearing you're going to need to be sure to clean everything REALLY good, replace the oil cooler, etc. Make sure you get a good hone and all that. I wouldn't worry about cams unless you're running a 30r or larger turbo.

#6 ·
Yup. . It's called rod knock (YouTube it). The big concern here is that it will send chunks of metal all throughout your engine, everywhere that oil goes.

Don't get me wrong, you would get some benefit from a mild cam (like GSC S1s) .. but for the ~$2000 cost of upgrading cams I just don't think the cost/benefit is there.

#10 ·
I wouldn't half ass it, the more through you are the more likely the rebuild will last. I suppose if everything looks good and specs out you could try reusing them, but all new rings and bearings don't cost that much. If you're going to the trouble of taking it apart I would do everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.