Ej22

This is a discussion on Ej22 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an ej22 in my 05wrx it was a brand new aftermarket block when I got it. I put ...

Ej22

I have an ej22 in my 05wrx it was a brand new aftermarket block when I got it. I put about 15000 miles on it. Yesterday I was driving and I heard a knocking noise. Checked my oil and I was down about 2 1/2 quarts. I'm pretty sure I broke the main bearing and hopefully nothing else. I'm going to pull the motor and rebuild it. I found a rebuild kit for like 450. I don't want this to be a total loss though. So I was thinking about putting a cam in it. Idk it ill have to change the heads or the headders it has stock sti heads on it now. If anyone can give me any information or advice id greatly appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Probably spun a rod bearing, main bearings don't usually fail in our cars.

If you did spin the bearing you're going to need to be sure to clean everything REALLY good, replace the oil cooler, etc. Make sure you get a good hone and all that. I wouldn't worry about cams unless you're running a 30r or larger turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Probably spun a rod bearing, main bearings don't usually fail in our cars.

If you did spin the bearing you're going to need to be sure to clean everything REALLY good, replace the oil cooler, etc. Make sure you get a good hone and all that. I wouldn't worry about cams unless you're running a 30r or larger turbo.
    I have a bloushe 18g and will I be able to tell

Also would spinning a bearing make a knocking noise?

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post

Yup. . It's called rod knock (YouTube it). The big concern here is that it will send chunks of metal all throughout your engine, everywhere that oil goes.

Don't get me wrong, you would get some benefit from a mild cam (like GSC S1s) .. but for the ~$2000 cost of upgrading cams I just don't think the cost/benefit is there.

Yup. . It's called rod knock (YouTube it). The big concern here is that it will send chunks of metal all throughout your engine, everywhere that oil goes.

Don't get me wrong, you would get some benefit from a mild cam (like GSC S1s) .. but for the ~$2000 cost of upgrading cams I just don't think the cost/benefit is there.
    I know what a rod knock is, I just wasn't sure if the bearing could cause that. I'm going to pull the engine anyway and replace that. Should I do a full rebuild or should I just do the bearing? I'm trying to be cost efficient but ill do it right.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I know what a rod knock is, I just wasn't sure if the bearing could cause that. I'm going to pull the engine anyway and replace that. Should I do a full rebuild or should I just do the bearing? I'm trying to be cost efficient but ill do it right.
    This will likely answer itself when you look at what's happened.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I wouldn't half ass it, the more through you are the more likely the rebuild will last. I suppose if everything looks good and specs out you could try reusing them, but all new rings and bearings don't cost that much. If you're going to the trouble of taking it apart I would do everything.

The only reason I want to is because it's damn near brand new.