Can anybody diagnose these pictures?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can anybody diagnose these pictures? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright so here's my hopefully easy to answer, but potentially pretty newb-ish question. 2009 WRX, TP Stage 2, with all ...

Can anybody diagnose these pictures?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	113499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	113498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0087.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	113500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0088.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	214.5 KB 
ID:	113501

Alright so here's my hopefully easy to answer, but potentially pretty newb-ish question.

2009 WRX, TP Stage 2, with all the supporting mods - Installed by the previous owner, but I'm still trying to go back over everything and make sure its all good to go-

1. Does anybody recognize the top mount that is being used currently? I haven't been able to identify it, nor has anybody else. No identifying factors - which leads me to believe that it is either an ebay knock-off, or worse yet, a knock-off of a knock-off
    I never really thought it may be a problem until recently when I started looking closer at the fitment - Had to remove my SPT strut brace given that it rubbed pretty good on the back of the intercooler and caused a pretty nice rattle at idle. That's neither here nor there as I think I'll just mill off an eighth of an inch or so and re-install later. Obviously the ducting work from the hood doesn't fit, which you can see on the intercooler itself (Little clean lines near the left and right sides from where the ducting rubs).
    So the moral of the story as I read it? Potentially sketchy top mount that isn't being as efficient as possible and is interfering with other parts. Huh.

2. Looks like a Turbosmart Recirculating BOV Kompact Plumb Back, which I found on rallysportdirect. Seems to be a pretty good product and gets great reviews, but I just wanted to get some other opinions, really just in general. Are there better things out there? Ideas? Criticisms?

3. The point of this post is that if this intercooler set up is trash, which it very well might be, then I think I'll shell out for the Process West TMIC, assuming it will work with my current set up. Again, ideas? Thoughts?

Just want to make sure that my car is as healthy as possible.

Thanks!
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks like a Torque Solutions TMIC, which is similar to Perrin and retails around $300-400 or so I think. Not a terrible unit, but not the best.

Turbosmart Recirc BPV isn't a terrible piece either.

What you need to do is find out if you have any other mods. While a good upgraded TMIC is worth it when tuned, it doesn't do much without a tune, especially on a stock car. So I doubt someone would have taken time to put a new TMIC on it without having been at some version of Stage 2 (downpipe and tune). So check the downpipe coming off the turbo.

Run some logs on the car. If it's running well, no reason to spend more money to fix what isn't broke.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^What he said. Looks like a Torque Solutions TMIC. The Perrin TMIC looks similar but has the words "PERRIN" embossed on it.

What downpipe do you have on? I ask because you have the stock heatshield. Was it just trimmed?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    On the suspension side, it looks like you also have coilovers of some variety, judging from the thumb screw sticking out of the top hat...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah i have the same TMIC on my car
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    On the suspension side, it looks like you also have coilovers of some variety, judging from the thumb screw sticking out of the top hat...
    Good find...but I'd suspect springs/struts as those still appear to be the stock style tophats.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Good find...but I'd suspect springs/struts as those still appear to be the stock style tophats.
    Yes, that's what confuses me, but if the suspension was stock, there should be caps over those center rings. Whatever is there is sticking out too high for the stock cap.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yes, that's what confuses me, but if the suspension was stock, there should be caps over those center rings. Whatever is there is sticking out too high for the stock cap.
    Yeah agreed. Perhaps Koni or Tokico adjustables?

Some coilovers like KW V1s and the Eibach Street coils use the stock tophats...so that could be it as well.

Wow you guys are good...

Finished putting Koni Yellows and RCE blacks on the car a few weeks ago. Love em'...

As far as the exhaust, its an Invidia downpipe WITH the stock heat shield, obviously, as was pointed out. And yes, it was just trimmed. Now that the weather is nicer, I was entertaining the idea of doing some kind of downpipe wrapping? I've heard its a pain the butt, but would probably be beneficial should I do some auto x's here and there.

Glad to hear that the TMIC is decent as it sits. Maybe I'll hold off on the Process West for a while...

And props to everyone for identifying everything so quickly. I'm glad I asked - And continue to learn something every day on here!
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

You might want to contact Eric @ Torqued performance. I did when I got mine and he helped quite a bit. Though he actually had hands-on on my car with the former owner, it was local to him.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    You might want to contact Eric @ Torqued performance. I did when I got mine and he helped quite a bit. Though he actually had hands-on on my car with the former owner, it was local to him.
    Good idea. I did some pretty basic data logs when I first got the car a while back. Everything looked pretty good, but I agree with you - I'll get some more detailed data logs and see if I can send them over to Torqued Performance for any input they may have.

Anybody have any experience with trimming heat shields for downpipes or other options that may exist for addressing one that is already trimmed? Is aftermarket heat protection even necessary for a mostly daily driver?
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy18 View Post
    Good idea. I did some pretty basic data logs when I first got the car a while back. Everything looked pretty good, but I agree with you - I'll get some more detailed data logs and see if I can send them over to Torqued Performance for any input they may have.

Anybody have any experience with trimming heat shields for downpipes or other options that may exist for addressing one that is already trimmed? Is aftermarket heat protection even necessary for a mostly daily driver?

I trimmed my stock one with an angle grinder. I had an aftermarket one (maddad prototype that came free with my DP because of some transaction issues they resolved generously) but didn't want it to look unusual. Comparing the two, there is no way the aftermarket would shield heat as well as the trimmed stock one.

If it is already trimmed I don't understand what there is to address.
    Last edited by mycologist; 04-25-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX

What is the issue with the trimmed heatshield? You would definitely want that on there to help with heat soak from the turbo, and also adds protection should anything separate (which could help you avoid serious damage to your other engine components). Turbo blanket would help with heat soak too, but then you would most likely need an aftermarket heatshield to fit over that.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    What is the issue with the trimmed heatshield?
    No issues specifically. I'm definitely going to leave it on, but was just curious if it is necessary to "supplement" it with anything?
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

I Support ClubWRX
    No issues specifically. I'm definitely going to leave it on, but was just curious if it is necessary to "supplement" it with anything?
    No. As said, a turbo blanket would help with heat retention but a different shield will not. A turbo blanket is not a necessity at all, and may have some negative consequences on turbo longevity. However, a blanket will probably help reduce the prevalence of heat soak of the intercooler when you are sitting at lights (that goes away quickly anyway) and may help spin up the turbo some too.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast