Header - general questions

This is a discussion on Header - general questions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Gentlemen of Club WRX (and ladies): I have searched, and have a few remaining questions to answer. I have recently ...

Header - general questions

Gentlemen of Club WRX (and ladies):

I have searched, and have a few remaining questions to answer.

I have recently decided to go the route of Equal length headers and protune after getting used to my TP stage 3 tune. I'm looking to get the stock turbo spooled-up a little earlier than stock and to get more tq on the left side of the graph, so keep that in mind with the suggestions. I also daily drive the car, in all types of weather, so have a few concerns about the SS headers in general, and wrapping in particular.

I have narrowed my search down to Perrin's ELH, and Tomei's ELH, both of which have been recommended by different tuners for different reasons. Both are in the same ball-park for cost. I'm trying to decide between the two, and have reached a small stumbling block.

The good thing about the perrin is that you don't have to change the uppipe, so installation is simpler, and to maintain the warranty you don't have to heat-wrap it. I have also had very good luck with perrin products on my car. The negatives are ... you don't heat wrap it if you want the warranty. Also, with no heat shields, I'm concerned of general heat soak/melting of bits.

The Tomei kit comes with everything, and has been highly recommended by a few people. However, you have to change the uppipe, which limits the ability to get an EWG (without chopping it up) in the future, and takes mildly longer to install. Also, you heat wrap it, which seems to be both a good thing (for heat) and a bad thing (for durability).

So my questions:
    Can anyone comment on the durability (cracking issues? heat issues? install issues?) of either product that has owned if for more than 3 months? I plan on DDing the car for 3 more years (minimum), so I'd want the headers to at least last that long.

Can anyone who lives in a slightly salty environment comment on the headers ability to resist corrosion? Both are 304 SS, which is decent against rust, but is definitely not 'rust proof'. In other words, in 3 years will I have a pile of rust under my car, or will they last decently?

Thanks in advance, for any help you guys can offer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    IIRC, the Tomei header primary diameter is a little larger than I'd expect for improved spool (43mm?). Of course, the equal length component will improve that aspect.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Tomei, GTSpec, etc. are all the same header (any of them that use the 3-bolt uppipe). Pick whichever one is cheapest, if that's your choice.

If it were me, I would get either the Perrins or the Invidia Race manifolds. As for the warranty, they typically only are a one-year period, and the manifolds almost always last outside the warranty period (even wrapped/coated), so shy of a factory defect, you should be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to wrap or coat either of these headers with my $$, for what it's worth.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

My thinking was the perrin was the proper choice for me for a stock turbo, and the tomei's/GT specs are better on a modified turbo.

The good thing about the perrin is you can still do a EWG if you want one without too much issue. Off to find the best price.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck
    My thinking was the perrin was the proper choice for me for a stock turbo, and the tomei's/GT specs are better on a modified turbo.

The good thing about the perrin is you can still do a EWG if you want one without too much issue. Off to find the best price.
    Perrin headers are a solid choice until you get into GT30R+ territory
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC