More power ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on More power ? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a 2013 STi , it came with the performance Subaru exhaust , if I add a K&N ...

More power ?

I just bought a 2013 STi , it came with the performance Subaru exhaust , if I add a K&N filter , not a full cold air , and a tuner , how much more power should I get ? And what brand of tuner works best for all around driving ? I'm not looking for a max , blow the heads
    off tune , just some more usable power

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd skip the filter. You're really wasting your time and money.

That being said, many prefer the Cobb Accessport for ease of use:

AccessPORT Off The Shelf Maps

The power bump is mentioned in the map notes: +14% HP / +17% TQ for a stage 1 tune on the stock intake.

If you are proficient in tuning, a Tactrix cable would be preferred as it is both more flexible and much cheaper: https://www.tactrix.com/
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+1 for cobb. i have used k&n in every one of my cars. go for it. dont expect to feel power from it but you wont ever need to replace it. just clean it.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by njandy View Post
    +1 for cobb. i have used k&n in every one of my cars. go for it. dont expect to feel power from it but you wont ever need to replace it. just clean it.
    Hold on. I do believe the Cobb map notes do state "stock intake with OEM air filter" as a prerequisite.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by njandy
    The problem with an oiled filter is that if you overdo it during the cleaning process, you can foul up the MAF sensor and mess with fueling. Unless you're doing it for cost savings (vs buying disposable ones), it's not worth it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

im in an 07 the map notes dont say anything for it. but on the 2013 dose say oem filter. id go k&n anyways do a data log make sure its not hurting anything.

zax
    im in an 07 the map notes dont say anything for it. but on the 2013 dose say oem filter

id go k&n anyways do a data log make sure its not hurting anything.
    Are you really in a position to give someone else advice on THEIR car over Cobb with THEIR map? If I were the OP, I would follow the map notes very closely, MAFv scaling is not something you want to **** with! If you don't have a wideband O2 installed, a datalog (in this instance) is not worth the electrons it's printed on!

Facebook me here

if hes getting an accessport he can DATA LOG as i said already if its hurting anything or knocking just take it out! the only thing id worry about is what ej said about fouling out the MAF. i personaly havnt had any problems with it on the 5 cars if had. there are alot of people runnging k&n filters out there. im pretty sure perrin has a map that is safe with panel filters. ill keep using mine i like more turbo noise and not driving to the subaru dealer to buy overpriced paper filters.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by njandy
    if hes getting an accessport he can DATA LOG as i said already if its hurting anything or knocking just take it out! the only thing id worry about is what ej said about fouling out the MAF. i personaly havnt had any problems with it on the 5 cars if had. there are alot of people runnging k&n filters out there. im pretty sure perrin has a map that is safe with panel filters. ill keep using mine i like more turbo noise and not driving to the subaru dealer to buy overpriced paper filters.
    The problem is that on a WOT log, which is what is most important, without WBO2 data, you can't tell if fueling is affected...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    You're not understanding. While your IAM, FBKC, and FLKC will provide a picture of your fueling (as will AFR correction and learning to an extent), you have no way of knowing how the panel filter has affected your MAFv scaling unless you have a WBO2 installed. It only takes one knock event to take out a motor...

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.