Engine mount, tranny mount, bushings, pitch stop
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Engine mount, tranny mount, bushings, pitch stop within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been scouting the Internet for this answer with no real answers. My 2012 STI hatch is covered under ...

Engine mount, tranny mount, bushings, pitch stop

I have been scouting the Internet for this answer with no real answers. My 2012 STI hatch is covered under a bumper to bumper warranty until 100K miles so I am sticking with Subaru components for now. My plan was to install spt exhaust, short throw shifter, bushings for tranny and suspension, engine mount, tranny mount, and pitch stop all at once to make things easier and less expensive labor-wise. I am going to have the Subaru dealership do the install. Has anyone installed the engine mount and/or tranny mount and pitch stop? What did it so to the NVH? Are these worthwhile upgrades? I appreciate your help!
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Just so you know. Only Subaru manufactured parts installed on the car at the time of delivery are considered OEM parts & are covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Any parts installed after delivery,including the ones with the Subaru or SPT name, are considered aftermarket parts. Even if they were installed by a qualified Subaru dealership.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'll have all of those parts in by later this week actually. If you're still curious, I'll give you my opinions as to what the NVH difference is.
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

That would be awesome!

Those mods in your OP do add more NVH but, not too much IMHO. The car just feels more connected over all. My fave's that are similar to what you have listed were my kartboy ss and front bushings, trans mount and positive shift kit (front cross member bushings). If you have any mech skills at all, like you can put in a light bulb without hurting yourself, you can do a lot of these mods with basic tools, a buddy, and some beer.

Maybe look into a non-suby short shift lever too...easy install, under $100 bucks and then when you couple that with shifter bushings....nice!! Another super easy one is the subframe inserts or rear subframe lockdown bushings.....4 bolts and voila...no more gummie bears in your rear subframe for better cornering stability so you can throttle steer more confidently and it feels more solid when you get back on the throttle after a hard shift.

Yes I'm the dork that's way to willing to help....hit me up if you want exacts for what's needed tools and time wise.

I always over do it and sorry if it sounds insulting....you could be a freaking sick rally mech for all I know.....just trying to spread the stoke on saving cash and easy DIY mods.

GL with it

I have tranny bushings, pitch stop, tranny mount, and shifter bushings installed in my 2013 wrx. It increased the noise in the car a bit, but nothing that I would say makes it too loud. I tend to like hearing the car work, and this gives you a nice, relatively subtle level of noise that reminds you the car is going.

I'm kind of shocked you are letting the dealer do it, all of those mods are ridiculously easy.

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    I have tranny bushings, pitch stop, tranny mount, and shifter bushings installed in my 2013 wrx. It increased the noise in the car a bit, but nothing that I would say makes it too loud. I tend to like hearing the car work, and this gives you a nice, relatively subtle level of noise that reminds you the car is going.

I'm kind of shocked you are letting the dealer do it, all of those mods are ridiculously easy.
    Agreed....you could buy more mods for all that cash you'd save!!! I don;t even want to imagine what a stealership would charge for all that install labor. Any one care to take a guess?

What is involved with the install? My fear is that I rip something apart and then can't get it back together again. The closest place that will work on my car is 2 hrs away!

Quote Originally Posted by twister8008 View Post
    What is involved with the install? My fear is that I rip something apart and then can't get it back together again. The closest place that will work on my car is 2 hrs away!
    There are YouTube videos for most of those installs and they show all the steps involved. I've only done the Kartboy short shifter so far, but it is pretty easy as long as you make sure you have the necessary tools...mainly the snap ring pliers which are cheap.

They really are all ridiculously easy mods to do. They are all considered the good "first timer" mods because there isn't really anything you could screw up terribly. They'd love charging you $800 in labor for all that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Parts went on today - Kartboy Pitch Stop, engine mounts, tranny mount, tranny crossmember bushings, TiC super shifter set, along with Koni Yellows, and RCE Blacks.

Can't speak for the install, I had TiC do it because they promised me they could knock it out in a day, whereas I would need much more time and my WRX is my daily driver, so I was hesitant to have something go wrong and be without it for a day(s).

Anyways. First impression with everything on is 'holy hell'. I'm with TankerTruck - I enjoy hearing the mechanics of the car as you drive. Yes, the transmission noise is louder, mostly in first and second, and the engine is louder upon start-up. There are just different sounds here and there that you'll notice the first few times you get in and go. I don't mind it at all though. The radio has been left off since I got it back just so I could listen to everything better. Certainly brings a smile to your face, especially when you get into the corners and can fully appreciate the advantages.

So noise and vibrations are increased slightly? Yes. Harshness? In my book, not really. The car still is more than drivable on the roads and I'm sure once I hit an autocross or two this season, the benefits under those conditions will be immense.
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

Nice! Glad you liked it.

I did all that in one day

I'll definitely agree with you on hearing and feeling the mechanics. It's cool. You feel more connected. Hell...I hear so much vibration and rattling now since I did the diff mount bushings and subframe bushings...but I eliminated the loud clunk I got when shifting, so I don't care. Its much more worth it, and everything really is much more fun to drive since it's all buttoned up and solid now.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Install for all those things are pretty easy. The toughest ones are the engine mounts... That requires you to lift the engine up about 1.5..." The rest is a breeze.

Here's a motor mount guide...
    Install Guide: STi Group-N Engine Mounts - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

As far as NVH, nothing a loud exhaust won't fix. But my car has 'dynamat' so I can't give a fair conclusion.

Motor mounts:

Trans:

Pitch stop:

2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

I have all these mods but the group n engine mounts. I've been thinking about adding them, but don't know how much I will benefit from them at this point. I'll probably do it because their cheap and I get bored.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I was told that a stiffer pitch stop mount will eventually wear out and break the stock engine mounts.
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.