Engine mount, tranny mount, bushings, pitch stop - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Engine mount, tranny mount, bushings, pitch stop within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't know if I've just tuned it out, but it seems to me that over the years the NVH ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know if I've just tuned it out, but it seems to me that over the years the NVH has settled down quite a bit (this is referring to my experience doing everything but the motor mounts on the first USDM model).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Nice! Glad you liked it.

I did all that in one day

I'll definitely agree with you on hearing and feeling the mechanics. It's cool. You feel more connected. Hell...I hear so much vibration and rattling now since I did the diff mount bushings and subframe bushings...but I eliminated the loud clunk I got when shifting, so I don't care. Its much more worth it, and everything really is much more fun to drive since it's all buttoned up and solid now.
    Well I think I was just intimidated by the amount of things I was hoping to put on. I found mixed reviews on the degree of difficulty as far as the install, but it sounds like I may have missed an opportunity to get some wrench time in. Oh well, I'm loving everything more and more each day. The radio has still not been turned on... Next time I won't psych myself out!
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

Hi, newb here.

For those of you who have done the Group N motor mounts on a 2011+ WRX, how the hell did you manage to unbolt the rear 14mm bolt? I've been following these install guides on IWSTI (GR: How to install motor mounts - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com and Install Guide: STi Group-N Engine Mounts - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com), and the plastic brackets that come stock on the WRX are shaped such that the head of the 14 mm bolts are partially surrounded by plastic (whereas the steel brackets that come with the GroupNs are relatively thin and don't cover the bolt head); they can be reached with a ratchet/socket, but not with a flex-head box wrench. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I did manage to jack the engine up just enough to fit a short 14 mm socket onto it, but then the front axle left me no room to twist with.

Besides the intercooler, pitch stop, air intake duct, and the two radiator brackets, what else would need to be removed (or preferably just loosened) to get the engine an inch or two higher?

Also, assuming you did in fact only use a box wrench on the rear bolt, how did you torque it down to spec? There's no way you can torque that thing down to ~70 ft-lbs with a box wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
    I was told that a stiffer pitch stop mount will eventually wear out and break the stock engine mounts.
    I have a torque solutions pitch stop on my 11 wrx on stock motor mounts. I will let u know if they break....sure hope not. I am putting down 335wtq atm. Thx for the justification to the wife to upgrade! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by k_breeze View Post
    Hi, newb here.

For those of you who have done the Group N motor mounts on a 2011+ WRX, how the hell did you manage to unbolt the rear 14mm bolt? I've been following these install guides on IWSTI (GR: How to install motor mounts - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com and Install Guide: STi Group-N Engine Mounts - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com), and the plastic brackets that come stock on the WRX are shaped such that the head of the 14 mm bolts are partially surrounded by plastic (whereas the steel brackets that come with the GroupNs are relatively thin and don't cover the bolt head); they can be reached with a ratchet/socket, but not with a flex-head box wrench. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I did manage to jack the engine up just enough to fit a short 14 mm socket onto it, but then the front axle left me no room to twist with.

Besides the intercooler, pitch stop, air intake duct, and the two radiator brackets, what else would need to be removed (or preferably just loosened) to get the engine an inch or two higher?

Also, assuming you did in fact only use a box wrench on the rear bolt, how did you torque it down to spec? There's no way you can torque that thing down to ~70 ft-lbs with a box wrench.
    Sounds like you shouldn't be using a box wrench.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sounds like you shouldn't be using a box wrench.
    Very insightful. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by k_breeze View Post
    Very insightful. Thank you.
    Don't know why you're getting sarcastic. It's good advice, don't use a wrench where a ratchet is needed, don't use a screwdriver for a pry bar, don't use pliers as a hammer, etc.... It's called using the right tool for the job, and it's why mechanics have so many tools.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    Don't know why you're getting sarcastic. It's good advice, don't use a wrench where a ratchet is needed, don't use a screwdriver for a pry bar, don't use pliers as a hammer, etc.... It's called using the right tool for the job, and it's why mechanics have so many tools.
    1) Getting sarcastic b/c dude was getting sarcastic with me
    2) Huge gap between pliers and a hammer bud. And a sarcastic comment about using the "wrong" tool is not what I would call advice. Point is, I might be a newb (which I clearly stated in the beginning of the post), but no need to be an *******
    3) Maybe not all of us are mechanics with a $10,000+ set of tools. Which is why I stated that, as a non-mechanic, I'm trying to use the guides that other people have taken the time to post for laymen like me. In both of these guides, they use a box wrench to get to the rear mount bolt, which is why I tried using said box wrench.

Thank you both for your wonderful help. I'll go with the ratchet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.