FMS FMIC Install on a 2013 STi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on FMS FMIC Install on a 2013 STi within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, figured I'd put this here since I already briefly mentioned it in my build thread, and I wanted ...

FMS FMIC Install on a 2013 STi

Hi guys, figured I'd put this here since I already briefly mentioned it in my build thread, and I wanted to get some tips and pictures out there in case anyone else is looking. I spent most of my build time on Google, so here is my DIY/product review:

The FMS FMIC I got from FastTuningProducts.com went in this weekend, and since I couldn't find anything out there on it I figured I'd snap some extra pictures for anyone else looking to install this FMIC. I've read it's exactly the same as the TurboXS, but haven't bothered to verify.

Some might be asking why I went with the FMS. It was $600 for the whole kit. No, some of the holes didn't line up right, and I had to trim the bumper. You get what you pay for. That said, was it worth saving the $800 for a comparable system? Absolutely. Rather than having to run it with no crash bar on a Process West, or AMS, or ETS, etc. or remove the factory fog lights as is necessary with some systems, or pay $2,000 for a Cosworth, I'd say it was worth every penny.

The whole kit includes quality parts, solid welds and good clamps. It has everything you need for both the WRX and STi as well as aftermarket BPV/BOV if you're running one of those.

Fitment was a factor. The core was slightly too tall, making it a little interesting to get the bumper back on because it pushes on the plastic brackets underneath. The replacement crash bar went in without modification, but the holes barely lined up. I managed to get it on without cross-threading anything. The only real fabrication issue was that the holes on the crash bar didn't line up with the holes on the intercooler. It was an easy fix though. I drilled out the holes and used some larger washers, done. Glad I didn't pay an extra $800 for the holes to line up. It was a 3min fix!

The bumper requires trimming, quite a bit actually. It was hard to stomach at first, but I broke out some electrical tape to use as a guide for my cuts and just got to it nice and slow. Take your time on this part, and you'll thank yourself in the end. You're going to need to trim at least 2inches, in some parts more. I went the slow route, a quarter inch at a time and did the final cuts with the bumper hanging on the car so I could get it nice and flush. You can try using sheet metal cutters, air cutter, hack saw, whatever, but I tried all three of those and I don't recommend any of them. They made for real rough, crappy looking edges and difficult to do in such a tight space, so I went with a razor blade. It made for very clean cuts, but that's where things went wrong. I got a little careless cutting the black part off the top of the opening. Cutting through the tough plastic with a razor takes a lot of effort if you're trying to do it in one pass, and at one point I had a little incident with an exactoknife.

For those using a razor: mark your line with tape, score it a couple times, then bend it a little and it will cut much easier.

The rest of the install went very smooth, but it was a challenge figuring out which pipes to use and which go where (it comes with pipes for both the WRX and STi). There weren't any pictures, and there were no instructions. A google search provided plenty of WRX photos, but no helpful STi pics so I just pieced it together. Below are some pictures and helpful hints for anyone out there looking to run this setup and save a ton of money on an FMIC.

It does come with a replacement crash bar, but obviously it's probably not going to provide the same protection as stock. Better than going without one like some kits.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	113044

Here is a look at the ends. On the WRX version there is a welded flange your BPV will bolt right onto, but on the STi you'll have to use this little tube and the provided fitting. I had no earthly idea how to mate this up without kinking the hose, so what I did is flipped the elbow on the back side of the BPV (you'll have to file down a tiny notch) allowing it to point toward the intercooler piping without kinking the hose, and I cut the provided silicon hose to fit, like so...

Name:	IMAG0017.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	113045

From there it was just a matter of routing the piping. I spent a lot of time screwing around trying to figure out which ones go where and came up with three different ways to route it given the provided pipe sections. I'm assuming the one I ended up with is the way it was designed to be used, but again, couldn't find any good pictures. Note, the pipe with two 90˚ elbows goes on the passenger side. I had to reposition the horn to get it to fit without rubbing. This is where I used the 30˚ silicon elbow

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	113046

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	113047

The u-pipe goes on the driver side, and routes down, not up, into the engine bay. You'll have to trim a little plastic. This is where I used the provided silicon 90˚ elbow, angled straight up. I positioned it such that I could get to the clamp from underneath the car rather than trying to work in the engine bay.

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	113049

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	113050

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	113051

I would HIGHLY recommend the use of an air ratchet and 10mm deep socket for this build. All the clamps you're tightening use nyloc nuts, and it gets old real fast doing it by hand in tight spaces, especially since you will almost definitely have to do some repositioning and retightening. My air ratchet was inop for this build, so I used a small cordless impact drill instead. It was a lifesaver.

Looks like I used up my quota for file uploads, so I guess I'll be finishing up now...As you can tell I kept my foglights and my AEM intake, but that was a TIGHT fit. I didn't have to replace the fuel line or anything like that either. The install wouldn't have been too painful if I hadn't stabbed myself in the wrist. I still want to trim up the bumper some more to make it a little straighter and give it a finished look. The last thing I'll address is the replacement coolant tank. I heard people talk about flipping hardlines, making custom brackets and all sorts of nonsense. I just bolted it down right on the alternator mount. There is a perfect space for it and it doesn't touch anything.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	113052
    Last edited by bbrock171; 04-01-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Too Bloody I Guess

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Good write up. Sorry to hear about your wrist. I just sent the link to my buddy. He plans on buying the same fm for his hatch Wrx.

Quote Originally Posted by WrxPower View Post
    Good write up. Sorry to hear about your wrist. I just sent the link to my buddy. He plans on buying the same fm for his hatch Wrx.
    Awesome, if he has any questions tell him to hit me up.

For the WRX it will be a little easier. No custom work required for the BPV. And probably a lot less head-scratching having seen someone do it already. There should be two pipes leftover when he's done. I'd upload more pictures but I already hit my quota. I cannot stress enough how big of a help it was to have an impact drill wth a 10mm deep socket.

For the bumper, he doesn't need to remove all of the black part like I did, but will have to trim significant portions off the back of it. I figured since I've got an FMIC might as well let it breathe as much as possible, so I took it all off to expose more of the core. On the bottom he will have to cut into the painted part of the bumper about an inch or so all the way across, otherwise the bumper won't go back on right. If he plans to use a razor like I did I'd suggest using light shallow passes until it will bend at the cut, then it comes off easily, rather than trying to muscle straight through it like I did and end up needing stitches. Use tape as a guide and barely scratch the surface on the first couple passes, so you don't end up needing touch-up paint.

ClubWRX.net Vendor Fast Tuning Products's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad you got it all figured out. I cant thank you enough for doing an install write up!
    Last edited by Fast Tuning Products; 05-06-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Available Nights and Weekends Via E-mail and Private Message!!
    We want to Earn your Business!
    Give Us a Call Monday - Friday 10a-6p EST to order by phone!
    724-708-3044
    Need a price matched or beat? Email Us: sales@fasttuningproducts.com
    Like Us on Facebook: www.FaceBook.com/FastTuningProducts
    www.FastTuningProducts.com
    We Accept Paypal/Visa/MasterCard/American Express/AMEX/Discover

I Support ClubWRX
    nice install
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    Awesome, if he has any questions tell him to hit me up.

For the WRX it will be a little easier. No custom work required for the BPV. And probably a lot less head-scratching having seen someone do it already. There should be two pipes leftover when he's done. I'd upload more pictures but I already hit my quota. I cannot stress enough how big of a help it was to have an impact drill wth a 10mm deep socket.

For the bumper, he doesn't need to remove all of the black part like I did, but will have to trim significant portions off the back of it. I figured since I've got an FMIC might as well let it breathe as much as possible, so I took it all off to expose more of the core. On the bottom he will have to cut into the painted part of the bumper about an inch or so all the way across, otherwise the bumper won't go back on right. If he plans to use a razor like I did I'd suggest using light shallow passes until it will bend at the cut, then it comes off easily, rather than trying to muscle straight through it like I did and end up needing stitches. Use tape as a guide and barely scratch the surface on the first couple passes, so you don't end up needing touch-up paint.
    Thanks again!!!!

One more thing I should probably address: it drives almost exactly like stock. It's 2.5inch diameter (external) piping all the way through, so it's not laggy. The only lag I've really noticed is it's not quite as punchy when dropping the hammer after a quick shift, but overall it drives exactly the same. Can't wait to finish my build and get this thing tuned.

damn im actually in the field for looking for a fmic kit for my 12 wrx. just a simple stage two build. would you recommend it? il take it as your driving around with it on just with the OTS cobb tune for the intake?
    also any close up pictures of the IC/ bumper? PM me or shoot me your email address to make it easier.

thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    damn im actually in the field for looking for a fmic kit for my 12 wrx. just a simple stage two build. would you recommend it? il take it as your driving around with it on just with the OTS cobb tune for the intake?
    also any close up pictures of the IC/ bumper? PM me or shoot me your email address to make it easier.

thanks!!!
    I'm actually running an etune from torquedperformance, but I ran the cobb ots tune as well. I haven't tuned for the intercooler, so I'm not really seeing more power out of it yet. I'll be doing a turbo swap soon, so that's when I'm going to tune it.

I would definitely recommend ths intercooler to anyone who doesn't mind trimming their bumper a little. If you get a protune done, you wll even get a little extra power out of it compared to regular stg 2, plus it eliminates heat soak and provides for more upgradeability down the road. I've had zero boost leaks because of the t-bolt clamps and aluminum piping, which allows you to get the seals very tight as opposed to the stock setup that leaks rather easily any time you remove the intercooler for something, like a downpipe install.

I haven't noticed much lag increase at all either, so overall I would definitely recommend this intercooler. You can't beat the price.

Hit me up at bbrock171@gmail.com anytime.

I have same FM's on Wrx, and after while I've noticed tiny little silver shards in the oil and oil in the L boots on throttle side. . Meaning shards are from the intercooler from poorly made. I suggest u check your boots if u have been pushing the car hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost911 View Post
    I have same FM's on Wrx, and after while I've noticed tiny little silver shards in the oil and oil in the L boots on throttle side. . Meaning shards are from the intercooler from poorly made. I suggest u check your boots if u have been pushing the car hard.

I inspected mine thoroughly inside and out. Never came across any loose metal. I ran it for a few months, two oil changes and no issues. Until I put a 20G on and promptly blew two shortblocks in two weeks. Took it back to stock and sold the intercooler. The guy who bought it hasn't complained so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost911 View Post
    If you're seeing metal in your oil, you have a much bigger problem...only oil that should get in a TMIC is blowby...which never gets returned to the sump. If you see shards of metal in your oil elsewhere, a cheap intercooler is the least of your worries.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

dah ****!? two short blocks? what was the cause?!??!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    dah ****!? two short blocks? what was the cause?!??!!?
    First one was cylinder 2 ringland failure. Had a new factory shortblock dropped in and that one spun a rod bearing during break-in. Still have the turbo and a few other things if anybody is interested.

which turbo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast