Cold Air or Short Ram????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cold Air or Short Ram???? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have an 02 wrx wagon and im stuck between an Injen CAI and a K&N Typhoon Short Ram, i ...

Cold Air or Short Ram????

i have an 02 wrx wagon and im stuck between an Injen CAI and a K&N Typhoon Short Ram, i know the cons and pros between a short ram and CAI, just asking for some opinions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Neither. Stockbox ftw!

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Neither. Stockbox ftw!

Posted from a fone.

^this.. unless you are running a larger turbo and front mount IC. Stock ram air box doesn't fit with traditional FMIC piping.

not yet but i will be soon. going with the weapon r- secret weapon

Quote Originally Posted by snowonmysubie View Post
    not yet but i will be soon. going with the weapon r- secret weapon

What's that? eBay brand?

no, because i will eventually be upgrading the turbo and setting up a FMIC, and personally the CAI sounds better, performs better, and it gets rid of that acordian rubber hose, yes i could just change the hosing but id rather go the full mile

I Support ClubWRX
    What's the difference in sound between a SRI/CAI?

Most intakes don't eliminate the Post-MAF hose.

What turbo are you going with that you bring up a FMIC?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

CAI- cold air intake
    SRI- HOT air intake
    which do you think would be better? lol

I Personally went with CAI. I do wish sometimes i went with a SRI as in south florida, it does rain, ALOT! and driving through puddles or mini ponds scares the shyt out of me! It def. does sound really nice though!
    2007 UGM STI: Vigilant Street series short block, ClutchMaster FX350 clutch w/ lightweight Flywheel, Invidia catless DP, Invidia N1 Race CBE, Grimspeed EBCS, Walbro 255 FP, BC Coils, AEM CAI, 8k lights, Driver Mod

The problem with a CAI is that you need to get your car tuned for it. Question for you though, how much power are you looking to do with a FMIC and a bigger turbo?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneManiac View Post
    The problem with a CAI is that you need to get your car tuned for it. Question for you though, how much power are you looking to do with a FMIC and a bigger turbo?
    Let me clarify: The problem with many CAI is the introduction of a 90 degree bend immediately before the MAF, which changes the MAFv scaling. Truthfully, a SRI can suffer from the same problem with a poorly designed MAF housing. As a general rule of thumb, if you change the intake or MAF housing, you really should adjust the MAFv table...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If you think about it both intakes eventually run the air through a hot turbo then an intercooler. Any cooling gained from a CAI is lost once it goes through the turbo. On an NA car maybe a CAI might work better but on a turboed car seems kinda dumb. I would go SRI eliminate unneeded bends and lower the risk of getting water in there.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234
    If you think about it both intakes eventually run the air through a hot turbo then an intercooler. Any cooling gained from a CAI is lost once it goes through the turbo. On an NA car maybe a CAI might work better but on a turboed car seems kinda dumb. I would go SRI eliminate unneeded bends and lower the risk of getting water in there.
    The problem is, the IAT sensor (which the ECU uses for compensations) is in the MAF sensor. It doesn't matter what turbo or I/C you have.

Without relocating the IAT sensor, a SRI is far less desirable as opposed to the OE airbox or a proper CAI.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The problem is, the IAT sensor (which the ECU uses for compensations) is in the MAF sensor. It doesn't matter what turbo or I/C you have.

Without relocating the IAT sensor, a SRI is far less desirable as opposed to the OE airbox or a proper CAI.
    When i say SRI i'm thinking of the cone filter being where the original air box is. That would keep the MAF in the same spot (at least on my 09) with the same diameter pipe.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    When i say SRI i'm thinking of the cone filter being where the original air box is. That would keep the MAF in the same spot (at least on my 09) with the same diameter pipe.

But the cone filter draws air from right there, where as the stock box draws it's air from the ram air scoop in the front of the car next to the headlight..

The main problem with the IAT sensor in a short ram is if you're drag racing or something. While your car is sitting, idling, in the staging lanes the IAT will read very high, causing the ECU to pull timing. Then when you go for your pass the air is cooled as soon as the car starts moving, but it takes some time for the ECU to add timing back in, so your car will be down on power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.