How to get a WRX into the 12's
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to get a WRX into the 12's within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I finally got a 2013 4dr WRX. I've owned a Subaru since 1987 wife's has a impreza sport. ...

How to get a WRX into the 12's

Hey guys I finally got a 2013 4dr WRX. I've owned a Subaru since 1987 wife's has a impreza sport. I just traded in my 2001 Ford Lightning that I've had 10 years and it ran 12.68 @ 108mph. The WRX sure feels faster what kind of mods will it take to bring it to the same level. I just ordered the Accessport From Cobb while there on sale.
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    12.68? You'll need to spend a pretty penny. Figure the following to get you there:
    1.) Engine management
    2.) Turbo-back exhaust
    3.) Quality TMIC
    4.) TGV deletes
    5.) Intake
    6.) E85 tune

But here's the big one: $5k to spend repairing your transmission. Good luck. The WRX is a 13.5 second car stock (with a hard launch).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

LOL well I guess it good where it is. I may go stage 2 but that's it. The car feels faster than the Lightning I guess it's because it's not spinning it just goes.
    Jeff

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia-wrx View Post
    LOL well I guess it good where it is. I may go stage 2 but that's it. The car feels faster than the Lightning I guess it's because it's not spinning it just goes.
    Jeff
    I came from an 03 cobra, so I feel your pain. I am currently stage two and hang with my brother that stil has an 04 cobra unitil 4th, but that is with a VERY hard launch, launch control and warm tires. I would say it is a low 13s very high 12s car with stage 2 and a good Pro tune.
    - 2013 Silver WRX Stage 2 Hatch - SPT and Cobb upgrades, Thule Snowboard racks
    - 2012 Dodge Charger R/T
    - 1988 ASC McLaren Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    I drag raced my wrx a few times. I stopped before I got the protune for fear of breaking the trans. I ran mid to high 13's (70 deg ambient), before my stock clutch started slipping during WOT pulls in 3rd-5th. Im probably a low 13 right now with the stage 1 clutch, and stage 2 protune but haven't taken it back to the track for fear of trans failure. Maybe a 12.9 with an ambient temp of 60 deg. I launched at 5200-5500rpm.

When i was at the track, there was a guy with an 05 sti. He had a Spearco Tmic, TBE-catless, and a protune. He launched at 6200RPM with the DCCD locked, and ticked off consistent 12.1's while I was there. It was something to watch. The launch was very violent, his 60's were high 1.5's low 1.6's, IIRC.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't forget some good track tires!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by georgia-wrx View Post
    Hey guys I finally got a 2013 4dr WRX. I've owned a Subaru since 1987 wife's has a impreza sport. I just traded in my 2001 Ford Lightning that I've had 10 years and it ran 12.68 @ 108mph. The WRX sure feels faster what kind of mods will it take to bring it to the same level. I just ordered the Accessport From Cobb while there on sale.
    Jeff
    These cars were not exactly designed for drag racing unfortunately. Just a TBE, an agressive tune and a decent driver will get you into the 12's. For lower 12's I pretty much agree with Zax's list. I think it is possible on pump gas but E85 would definitely make a drastic difference. Bigger turbo would help to. Something like a 18G-XTR would be the ticket.
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-30-2013 at 05:33 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2012 WRX, Catless DP and Custom tune to 18.5 PSI. On a Mustang Dyno the car went from 240hp to 288 hp at the wheels and went 12.89 at PBIR 1/4 mile. Never ran it stock

This is some good info. I have pretty much grown out of the drag racing routine the Lightning was the 1st viehicle that held up to the track. I may go to see what it'll do but the fear of breaking something has taken the fun out of it. At least now I can pass a gas station now.

be a good driver
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    be a good driver
    + develop a seething hate for your transmission.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    + develop a seething hate for your transmission.
    I thought the issue with the newest gen wrx's is the engine before transmission, not including the clutch.

True the transmissions have gotten stronger and engine (pistons specifically) weakened over the years but being AWD your tranny will take all the shock of a harsh launch.

Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
    I thought the issue with the newest gen wrx's is the engine before transmission, not including the clutch.
    What UEDan said.

I'm not talking about "issues." I'm talking about what launching does to your car. On a FWD or RWD car, if you have a good amount of power and launch it, excess energy can be dissipated by spinning wheels. On an AWD car, traction is not the issue. So that extra energy is going somewhere, but where? If you drop the clutch, it takes the form of an extreme shock to the transmission components such as the differentials. The "correct" way to launch an AWD car is with lots of clutch slippage, since a clutch is cheaper to replace than differentials. Still not cheap though.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I think the question a lot of people wonder is IS the wrx a 12 second car. IMO if we were in the imaginary world where Subaru provided a stronger tranny, engine, etc. yes I would say it is. The wrx beats a lot of cars it's not supposed to, even in stock form. It comes down to physics and common sense. A 3200 lb car with driver, and 320+ hp WILL make a 12 second pass. Isn't the fastest stock wrx a 12.9 car anyway? Idk, but from a slight roll you are driving a 12 second capable car, with a stage 3 set up I would even say a 12.5. That's ALL IMO though and I'm no expert by any means.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.