Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ordered a turbo blanket today

14K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  chutoyy 
#1 ·
I got it from PTP, just wondering how many of you all have them and if it was hard to install while on the car? Did you notice your engine temps were lower on a regular basis?

#2 ·
Very easy to install.

FYR, the purpose of the turbo blanket isn't really to decrease engine temperatures. The primary purpose of the blanket is to keep the energy IN the turbocharger. The less heat lost through the header/uppipe/turbine, the more energy is harnessed to drive the compressor. Engine temp reduction is really an ancillary effect: particularly the temperature on the lower side of the TMIC.

#7 ·
Yeah, I had read about it helping with spool time etc. I know it obviously does help to keep temps down. I took off my heat shield when I changed my DP since it didn't fit because of the bellmouth, I know there is a DIY on how to use the OE heatshield with aftermarket DPs though. If I don't use the heatshield, would the TB do just as good of a job though?

#4 ·
I know there was a group by of them a few months back (I didn't pull the trigger on it)...so a few people around here have em and like em.

#10 ·
ok, I did the install... pretty easy to do, especially getting under the car where you can reach everything better. How tight is thing supposed to be on? If it can move back and forth a bit, does it need to be tighter? I don't want the arm to move it out of place.

#11 ·
Nevermind... I got back under the car and redid the whole thing lol. It was bothering me to much. It's not loose, but it can move a little. I just don't want the arm to wear a hole in it. I wonder if I could use some wire to go around the turbo from top to bottom to fold those edges down a little?

#12 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Turbo Blanket club :)

I installed mine last weekend when I put a new Cobb Downpipe on my '13 WRX. Did the overkill of a downpipe blanket and new heatshield from Perrin with my TB. Heat in the engine bay shouldn't be an issue this summer; I hope! Install the Torque Performance Stage 2 with AEM intake on my Cobb AccessPort also. The power increase over Stage 1 is really noticeable.

Ordered a Nameless Axleback exhaust just to give the car some sound with the new power. Really thought about just getting the catback system from Cobb, but the sound clips of the Nameless exhaust just sounds so sweet and $500 cheaper then a full catback system. Will post back at the end of the month how it all works out.

#15 ·
I read on here that Perrin sourced their blanket out to PTP, so the PTP should be as good but only cheaper than the Perrin. PTP offered colors and since I have a red theme going on under the hood I went with the red blanket :thumbup:

If PTP had a thermal blanket for the downpipe I would have used that as well. I did follow the Perrin suggested instructions for wrapping the wire on their blanket for my PTP. Seems very secure with no movement.

Sidenote, looking at the photo above, Jason from Nameless Performance suggested to me that you should not wrap your downpipe with exhaust wrap if you drive where there is heavy rain or salt on roadways. He said the water/salt gets into the material and stays trapped causing permature corrision of the pipe. Even though most vendors use top brand Stainless Steel they are not indestructable! Better to leave an air gap between the pipe and exhuast shielding (aluminum or blanket) to allow excess water/salt to evaporate. Granted the thermal wrap adds great heat protection. The other methods allows for longer life of your exhaust.

#19 ·
like ceramic coating?

I live in California... so I dunno what rain and snow are... :shrug: :p But chances are I'd replace the turbo before any corrosion happens. ;)

hmmm, looking at this I need to go out and look and mine and make sure I did it correctly. I'm pretty sure I did. I've done all of my installations and I think i'm making it more difficult than it has to be lol.
As long as it doesn't fall off and the 'cut-outs' aren't impeding the actuator, it should be fine. I have mine held on w/ stainless steel wire.

#16 ·
I actually got my stock heat shield over top the PTP turbo blanket, for what it is worth. I am sure I am hitting diminishing returns at that point, but I figured it can't hurt much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.