Stock injectors on 02 WRX

This is a discussion on Stock injectors on 02 WRX within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently upgraded my 02 WRX to stage 2. I can say that it was a pretty big step up ...

Stock injectors on 02 WRX

I recently upgraded my 02 WRX to stage 2. I can say that it was a pretty big step up from stock and I'm thrilled with the results so far. All I'm running right now is a downpipe and a tune but I was wondering if any of you guys had some knowledge about what my WRX is capable of with the stock injectors and turbo.

I plan to replace the uppipe very soon, then after that a better TMIC and a MBCS. The hope is that I can take the rex to a dyno and get a tune to squeeze some more power out of her. Anyone know what the stock injectors and turbo are capable of? I'm wanting to be around 250whp. I've talked to people in the past who claim to be running 20-21 psi with stock turbo and injectors. Just curious if anyone else thinks that's possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most people don't understand the variables involved when talking power numbers. Like altitude,atmospheric conditions,humidity,ambient temp,octane of fuel,vehicle mechanical state,quality of tune,mods installed,type of dyno used........ect.

So,generally just asking for "how much power can I make?" is anyone's guess when no other information (like stated above) is provided and especially if no base line number has been established. That being said,lots of people have run 20-21 psi in the midrange tapering back down to 12-14psi at redline with generally an aftermarket boost controller,upgraded fuel pump and higher flowing TMIC and full turboback exhaust. To get the most out of a "stage 2" type setup I would probably include ported/polished stock manifolds or a header and TGV deletes.

Dyno FAQ
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-29-2013 at 04:33 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

All I'm asking is do the numbers I mentioned above seem possible with the setup listed above. I understand that nothing is exact in the world of tuning. I appreciate your input though. I've talked to some others who say that just getting injectors in addition to MBCS and TMIC would work fine for my application if I'm not looking for a huge increase. I doubt the car will go any further after that. I just want to squeeze what I can out of my car without completely emptying my wallet (;

Don't do an MBCS on the stock turbo. Your choices are: safe, which makes SIGNIFICANTLY less power than it could in the midrange, or dangerous, which is safe only up to a certain RPM.

With a small turbo like this, it makes sense to have an EBCS to fully take advantage of the safe ranges of the turbo.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Don't do an MBCS on the stock turbo. Your choices are: safe, which makes SIGNIFICANTLY less power than it could in the midrange, or dangerous, which is safe only up to a certain RPM.

With a small turbo like this, it makes sense to have an EBCS to fully take advantage of the safe ranges of the turbo.
    I apologize I actually did mean electronic boost control solenoid. That's my dislexya kicking in haha.

Alright.

I can't offer you much insight, but I can say that running nothing but an EBCS and a work-in-progress tune, I was able to see about 200-210whp on the airboy spreadsheet. That had boost which got up to about 18-20psi, and tapered off towards about 12psi at redline (those may not be the right boost numbers, I don't recall 100% - I basically follow one particular RPM line on the turbo map). 250whp with stage 2 upgrades and a GOOD tune is not out of the picture.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Alright.

I can't offer you much insight, but I can say that running nothing but an EBCS and a work-in-progress tune, I was able to see about 200-210whp on the airboy spreadsheet. That had boost which got up to about 18-20psi, and tapered off towards about 12psi at redline (those may not be the right boost numbers, I don't recall 100% - I basically follow one particular RPM line on the turbo map). 250whp with stage 2 upgrades and a GOOD tune is not out of the picture.
    Alright thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Looks like a have a summer project now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man

Why shouldn't he run an MBC on the stock turbo? The turbo will taper off with an MBC as the RPMs go up. PTFB can be an issue, but that can be remedied by pairing a BCS with the MBC, and running hybrid boost control.

I wouldn't bother upgrading injectors on a S2 WRX. Listen to Donkey on this one...
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-29-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC