Open source more dangerous than Cobb protune?

This is a discussion on Open source more dangerous than Cobb protune? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know I'm going to be modding my car very soon and would like to not have to buy the ...

Open source more dangerous than Cobb protune?

I know I'm going to be modding my car very soon and would like to not have to buy the acessport just to tune.. I'm just gunna do downpipe exhaust and intake. Is open source tuning by, say church, more dangerous than a Cobb AP protune?ANY thoughts on the matter would be appreciated cause I'm new to subies

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is a fork dangerous?

If you know what your doing, I guess it would be less dangerous than say someone who has never tuned before?

I'd stick to cobb unless you know exactly what your doing.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I wouldn't tune it myself- I'd go to an open source tuner

Both are tuning tools, what will make the biggest difference is the tuner and the maintenance of the vehicle.

Contact a reputable tuner you would like to deal with and ask them what method they prefer. I much rather let the professional pick the tool they are more comfortable with.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Look in the Tuning section....mucho info... Tuning: Electronic Engine Management

OS tuning is not in it's infancy for Subaru's. There is a HUGE amount of general How To info on the few main forums, whether they be overall Suby or model specific sites.

I'd say start here Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

or maybe here... OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

Snuggle up to your screen and dig in....it's much more fun to be in the know about why your car is more fun...not just make it more fun and move on! Although I'm all for trusting a tuner/shop and modding that way too. As long as you're enjoying it and keeping your investment and you safe.

Crap I sound old.........maybe b/c I am!

Ha, didn't refresh and Donkey beat me to the punch..haha DP's are not just for snail cars!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    Is a fork dangerous?

If you know what your doing, I guess it would be less dangerous than say someone who has never tuned before?

I'd stick to cobb unless you know exactly what your doing.
    This was well said.

OpenSource tuning is not per say, "Dangerous" but I would give Cobb the nodd in simplicity. Getting everything set up software wise and your first map flashed in OpenSource is always the hard part. After that, it's whatever you make of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Idk how big Church is but if your in SoCal there is also Yimi Sport and other shops. I have heard great things about Church and i am going to Yimisport for my next tune.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    This was well said.

OpenSource tuning is not per say, "Dangerous" but I would give Cobb the nodd in simplicity. Getting everything set up software wise and your first map flashed in OpenSource is always the hard part. After that, it's whatever you make of it.
    This! I went to OS when I had my Evo X for the reason that my tuner (e tune) wanted to have more info per second which the computer can process more of.... so in a way you could say that part was safer than the cobb in that regard. Cobb makes very good stuff though, certainly no knock on them for their products, though some of them are a bit overpriced.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune