Does this require tune?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does this require tune? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So currently my 2011 STi is on the COBB stage 2 + SF intake tune with an invidia catted DP, ...

Does this require tune?

So currently my 2011 STi is on the COBB stage 2 + SF intake tune with an invidia catted DP, COBB SF intake + airbox, and nameless performance axleback, other then that its stock, My question is, do I need a tune for new headers? Going to be going for a tune soon but if I need a tune for them I'll do them before I go for a tune, if not I'll tune now and then install after the tune when i have the money for them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yes.

Pay careful attention when selecting the size of the primaries. Primary size should be matched to your setup. Slapping on large-diameter headers will harm your performance more than help. However, a well-matched set of ELH when properly tuned will greatly increase your Volumetric Efficiency in the mid range.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Sorry I can't answer your question man (I'm going to assume yes) but one question I have for you is, is your invidia DP hooked up to your stock miid pipe? I was looking to get that same DP but didn't know if I would have to go complete TBE. Also, when you put in the DP did you get a tune immediately after that, or can I put it on and wait til I save $$ for a tune?
    Thanks in advance and, again, sorry I can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFloRex View Post
    Sorry I can't answer your question man (I'm going to assume yes) but one question I have for you is, is your invidia DP hooked up to your stock miid pipe? I was looking to get that same DP but didn't know if I would have to go complete TBE. Also, when you put in the DP did you get a tune immediately after that, or can I put it on and wait til I save $$ for a tune?
    First, I went with a GrimmSpeed adapter, RallySport sells them, as well as many vendors on this forum, was only 35$ when I bought it. As far as the tune goes, I retuned the car (using the cobb AP) before i even turned the engine over with the new DP. I was told as long as you dont create any boost you shouldn't be fine to drive the car a few miles, but personally, I'd wait, when you personally hold the new DP, and compare it to the old one, you can see what a big difference in design.

You pretty much can expect to tune for everything but a catback exhaust. You really need to tune for anything that will somehow change the flow of exhaust or air through the turbo.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    First, I went with a GrimmSpeed adapter, RallySport sells them, as well as many vendors on this forum, was only 35$ when I bought it. As far as the tune goes, I retuned the car (using the cobb AP) before i even turned the engine over with the new DP. I was told as long as you dont create any boost you shouldn't be fine to drive the car a few miles, but personally, I'd wait, when you personally hold the new DP, and compare it to the old one, you can see what a big difference in design.
    So you didn't get a pro tune with anything you have on your car? Just used the AP?

Quote Originally Posted by SoFloRex View Post
    It's best to get a stage 1 tune first... this step will open up your ability to tune your car whether it's open source or an access port. After that you got what you need for your stage 2 tune, that way you can bolt the DP on and tune it all at the same time. If you can't afford to do both at once then the logical step is to go for a stage 1 tune then stage 2 (downpipe+tune). If you plan on doing a stage 2 tune and getting a pro tune... bolting the downpipe up and taking a short drive to a tuner will not hurt just stay out of boost. But your scenario is different since you can't afford the tune, that is why you need to go stage 1 first like 99% of the people in your situation. Also IMO the stock to stage one jump is bigger than the stage 1 to stage 2 jump.
    2011 Sportwagon TDi

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    It's best to get a stage 1 tune first... this step will open up your ability to tune your car whether it's open source or an access port. After that you got what you need for your stage 2 tune, that way you can bolt the DP on and tune it all at the same time. If you can't afford to do both at once then the logical step is to go for a stage 1 tune then stage 2 (downpipe+tune). If you plan on doing a stage 2 tune and getting a pro tune... bolting the downpipe up and taking a short drive to a tuner will not hurt just stay out of boost. But your scenario is different since you can't afford the tune, that is why you need to go stage 1 first like 99% of the people in your situation. Also IMO the stock to stage one jump is bigger than the stage 1 to stage 2 jump.
    Perfect. Thank you. Sorry OP for highjacking your thread. lol

i barely felt anything going stock to stage 1 on my 2013. but stage 2 felt like a world of difference. maybe it was just my car didnt take well to the stage 1 idk. the AP was only registering 14.2 psi(didnt have proper boost gauge at the time) which is within the 15.0psi +/- 0.8 that the map notes showed. it could also be the ACN 91 map just sucks since our gas is so lame out here lol

I haven't looked at the map notes for the cobb tunes since 2009, but i am pretty sure the stock to stage 1 jump is bigger than the stage 1 to stage 2 (cobb tunes). My current tune peaks at 18.5 (stage 2)
    2011 Sportwagon TDi

zax
    I haven't looked at the map notes for the cobb tunes since 2009, but i am pretty sure the stock to stage 1 jump is bigger than the stage 1 to stage 2 (cobb tunes). My current tune peaks at 18.5 (stage 2)
    The gains have little if anything to do with the increase in boost pressure.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Headers can shift VE significantly, so yes, you do need to tune for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    SoFlo...I have that adapter and no use for it. PM me if you need it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The gains have little if anything to do with the increase in boost pressure.

Are you referring to the headers? They were in a side discussion about stage 1 & 2 - increased boost pressure is a major factor there.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

Are you referring to the headers? They were in a side discussion about stage 1 & 2 - increased boost pressure is a major factor there.
    Nope, I'm referring to the change from Stock to Stage 1

I'm sure that the timing/fueling enhancements have a much greater impact on the increase in output over the increase in boost pressure.

Facebook me here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast